Neighbours child has forks on backwards - do I say something

Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":3bfh4tef said:
If you seriously think there's a good chance your neighbours will sue you for fixing their kid's bike I would suggest you move house ASAP.

I've grown cynical in my older age. Our society is becoming increasingly litigous, following the example of the US. It's not just that, it's also based on multiple bitter experiences unrelated to cycling, where doing the right thing has unexpectedly backfired. Compensation culture is a real thing, so I dont think it's my neighbours, more an overall pattern of the decline of traditional societal bonds. Just how I see it. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

It's not so much being sued for fixing a bike, it's the potential to be sued if I fix a BSO and a day/week later something else unrelated breaks on it, injuring the child and the parents link the two occurrances. "He isn't a professional mechanic, so it must be his fault". Imagine trying to disprove that in legal terms, it's not that easy. A no win no fee lawyer simply sends a letter and suddenly you're faced with a huge solicitors or worse, barristers bill for defending yourself. Predictably, regardless of whether the claimant had genuine grounds or not, it ends with a substantial out of court settlement, because you're looking at 5 figures+ for defending yourself if it goes to court. Over a pair of backwards forks...? No thanks.

If you've never had to go through something like that, then honestly I'm glad for you. It's crappy, I'll say that.

Is tha not from Yorkshire?
I thought it was every Yorkshiremans God given right to tell anybody if they’ve got owt wrong? Certainly that seems to be rule in my village! :LOL:

Peachy!":12fi9n9m said:
Is tha not from Yorkshire?
I thought it was every Yorkshiremans God given right to tell anybody if they’ve got owt wrong? Certainly that seems to be rule in my village! :LOL:

If someone is wearing their flat cap in an inappropriate manner, I will always endeavour to point that out. :D

Re:

Write the web address of this thread on a slip of paper, pop it in an envelope, hand-deliver at the dead of night. That way they'll get wind of the fact the forks are cock-a-hoop, and get wind of the fact they could be more cheery neighbours! You can of course deny all knowledge....

They may not know what 'an internet' is though.

As already said, do nothing, say nothing

If the kid goes on to have an accident after you've sorted it, you're fucked

Re:

You sure they’re not Pace forks? :LOL:

I 100% would not be adjusting the forks, just mention it to the child, show them your bike and how the forks should be.

I mean, besides the forks looking wrong, and handling weird, will they break ? Probably not.

Re:

I will proffer that it is your responsibility to let the folks know that those forks are backwards.

Re:

Told plenty of kids & parents about forks on backwards whilst out & about. Also commented about wrongly sized bikes/poor set-up (usually loose headsets, wheels/QR's) as well as under/oversized helmets or just completely wrongly adjusted. I want kids to have fun and enjoy their bikes so if they can tweak the set-up and ride the bike easier/faster/safer then that's good. Adjusted loads of helmets too for the parents, otherwise if kids go over the handlebars with the way the helmets were adjusted they'd get properly smashed up...

I told a parent the other week about her girls forks are on backwards, saw her yesterday and they're still on backwards...

Just say to your neighbour "Hello, I believe your kids bike has been badly assembled [by a total retard]. The forks are
on backwards; they are very dangerous and he could have a serious tumble through no fault of his own."

It can't be that difficult to say it how it actually is, then move on.

FWIW, i've pointed this out in a big chain before, just before someone was going to take it for a test ride.
"This bike has it's forks on back to front"

"No it doesn't, they're meant to look like that" From the middle aged guy in the shop.

Was a pair of Rockshox SIDs (in blue, so not really like they could be confused for much else),
And obviously not anything with reversed or double arches or odd offsets (Pace/Magura/DTSwiss/Manitou)

Back