Nearly there....

Pipmeister, was you in Clacton-on-sea last summer?
I saw someone who looked like you and wearing a Kona cycling top in a shelter talking to other people along the seafront.

Pipmeister, was you in Clacton-on-sea last summer?
I saw someone who looked like you and wearing a Kona cycling top in a shelter talking to other people along the seafront.
Hi there Ian, I can say that it was not me in Clacton-on-sea last Summer, so there must be someone else out there who resembles me!

Incidental, while I was staying at my sister's place at the beginning of the month, we took a trip into the Cotswolds, as I had discovered where Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath has a house. Astonishingly, as we approached his place, I saw that the front door was open. Oh blimey I thought to myself, I may actually get to see him, or even ask him a question that I had prepared. My best mate and fellow Black Sabbath fanatic, had instructed me not to blow this opportunity.

A guy that I assume was his P.A. was in the hallway chatting to another guy, and there was new Gibson Guitar boxed up on the floor. I was likely that he could have popped along at any moment to pick it up, so I loitered as long as I could, and asked if he was in, and may I ask him a question. His man said that he was sorry, but Tony is not available at the moment. I did say that I was taking a bit of a liberty by expecting to speak to the greatest man who ever lived - that made him chuckle.

Anyway, I did a recce of the the rest of his place, and noticed that a side gate was open along the enclosed garden wall. I could hear a mower running, and thought to myself, I can probably bomb this photo opportunity. I got my camera ready, and just dived in and took a shot of his back garden, then ran out again - mission almost accomplished I reckon, and I could pop back sometime to see if I am more fortunate.

We legged it into town, and ask around a few shops and cafés if he ever popped in. Oh yeah he often in town I was told - oh that's another date then sometime!

Pip.

VacantHeftyAngwantibo-size_restricted.gif

O.M.G. - What just happened this morning after posting the above has made my decade.

With reference to my little trip to Tony Iommi's house, (and to quote Alasdair's phrasing) the planets aligned :D.

I'm still piecing together how this has actually happened, but....

Tony Iommi telephoned me this morning, and we chatted for about 20minutes :eek:.

I visited my former bosses (husband and wife) last week, to tell them about my week at my sister's, and my trip to see if I could bump into Iommi. It would appear my old boss wrote to Iommi, and explained a bit regarding my situation.

Anyway, my mobile rang this morning with Private Number displayed, so I assumed it was my Macmillan Nurse or Doctor. Then Iommi's voice said, "Is that Pip, this is Tony Iommi. I hear that you came to my house to ask me a question."

I am still floating here, and can honestly say that it was the best tonic for me. We chatted about a whole cross section of Sabbath related stuff, and he was super easy to talk to. He said that he would phone me back sometime to check in on me - what an absolute star🤩.

Pip

Latest posts

Back