My unicorn - 1994 Kona Hei Hei - FULL SPEC/FINISHED PICS ON PAGE 8 & 9 - BOTY 2021, BOTM April 2021 & 2nd MucOff Show & Shine Malverns Classic 2021

Re:

Some NOS Onza Porcipaws grips sourced

p4pb19714969.jpg

p4pb19714974.jpg

Re:

More parts sourced...

So I’ve been undecided for a while now whether I wanted to run my Tioga Carbo carbon bars on this build despite them being period correct (I ran the same bars in 1994 and 1995), but I couldn’t decide what I’d run instead that would tie in with the build so I decided to stick with the Carbo’s and not drop any more £££ into this retro money pit...

Roll on a couple of days after making this decision a set of really rare Kona Race Light titanium handlebars became available. From the pictures the seller sent they weren’t in perfect condition, but they didn’t have any deep scratches, the logos were perfect and having restored titanium parts in worse condition I knew they wouldn’t be a hard restoration. When the bars arrived they were in better condition than they looked only taking 30 mins of elbow grease they came out like new and the Kona Race Light laser etched logo got its black/titanium rainbow finish back :cool:

p4pb19723930.jpg

p4pb19723927.jpg

p4pb19723926.jpg

These bars should look pretty good alongside the Onza titanium barends

Re:

Got a bit of a cleaning and test fitting done today...mechs all cleaned, lubed up and finally fitted. Also started cutting the XTR gear outers.

p4pb19728617.jpg

p4pb19728623.jpg

p4pb19728620.jpg

Also had a trial fit of the Onza titanium barends on the Kona Race Light titanium bars...

p4pb19728628.jpg

Re: My unicorn bike/spec from when I was 15 - 1994 Kona Hei Hei

I'm glad someone scored Sandor's bars (presumably his?) as they were making my wallet twitch.

al-onestare":2q0rmhhy said:
I'm glad someone scored Sandor's bars (presumably his?) as they were making my wallet twitch.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes they were Sandor’s...they look a little different now and should look nice on this build.

Re: Re:

these are making me rethink, and maybe go off on a clear-porci-paw search once more!!

Any insights on where you found these???

44Racing":p4kb436g said:

p4pb19714969.jpg

p4pb19714974.jpg

Re: Re:

1bhp":2exbmxl0 said:
these are making me rethink, and maybe go off on a clear-porci-paw search once more!!

Any insights on where you found these???

44Racing":2exbmxl0 said:

p4pb19714969.jpg

p4pb19714974.jpg

I think I sourced these from the USA on eBay. I’ve got a NOS clear set on my RTS...unfortunately (for you) they’re not for sale :LOL:

44Racing":3teqk5m0 said:
al-onestare":3teqk5m0 said:

Yes they were Sandor’s...they look a little different now and should look nice on this build.
Lol they were not that bad! As I hadn't made a start on restoring them, I thought I'd allow someone else to have all the fun & enjoyment - a bit like rubbing the genie from the bottle! :D

Glad that they've turned out well and have gone to an outstanding build.

romanrinos":1ige9xy5 said:
44Racing":1ige9xy5 said:
al-onestare":1ige9xy5 said:

Lol they were not that bad! As I hadn't made a start on restoring them, I thought I'd allow someone else to have all the fun & enjoyment - a bit like rubbing the genie from the bottle! :D

Glad that they've turned out well and have gone to an outstanding build.

:LOL: :LOL: Tbh they weren’t bad and raw Ti is a fairly easy restoration, but seeing as probably 70% of the build is NOS maybe I’ve been spoilt in condition terms ;)

Back