My new GT Karakoram, 1989?

That's as cool as a polar bears drinking pond. Never seen one from this year 88. Just needs some TLC and get rid of tat saddle, eh?

Thanks for the reminder to weigh it before teardown! :D

I plan to strip it down completely, and repack all of the bearings and such.

Aside from consumables like cables and housing, it will need:
- replacement saddle, original type or at least period correct
- replacement seatpost (its mangled!)
- thumb shifters (left one cap missing, right one damaged too)
- Biopace chainrings; the ones on it are round aftermarket ones
- grips

The tires are pretty new, but the yellow stripe that coordinates with the decals is growing on me. So they may stay, even though I have some older tires. I would have never ever considered yellow tires on my own!

patineto was right. Mine weighs 30.0 lbs as purchased.

Started the teardown. A big victory in that I got the cassette off! It is an old IG one where the little cog threads onto the freehub body.

one of the coolest GT's i have seen in a long time! nice score, love the sounds of the refurb plans also

Headset nut won't budge, even with a big crescent wrench. :( I hit it with some Liquid Wrench, so we'll see.

I haven't even tried the BB yet...

Wow - very special!

I love that paint job and the stem!

The 89 Karakoram was plain red or grey, so this should be a 88. The serial no. should contain a 88.

A couple of questions...

Where is the serial number located?

What size chainrings came on it originally? (mine has Vuelta aftermarket ones)

Serial number is under the bottom bracket. Should be T87XX or T88XX .... and the serial number will be half on the left side of the BB and half on the right side or two rows of stacked letters and numbers. Will be touch to read through that crackled paint job.

Latest posts

Back