My KONA EFS / Sintesi Bromont Fully (1992 - 1994?)

Re:

"The DH3 has some more travel (72mm)" :LOL: The 90's eh, 72mm travel downhill forks!

I like the red set-up, but agree with a red riser bar and a few less spacers.

SP

Re: KONA EFS / Sintesi Bromont Fully (1992 - 1994?)

Today I did a lot of cleaning, frames and parts. I mounted the bottom bracket, a new sprocket set, adjusted the Maguras, disassembled and cleaned the rear shock and replaced the totaly corroded rivet nuts of the bottle holder. Easy going and the new one looking very cool.

Thank god if you have the right tools at home ;-)

Attachments

• Neue Stecknieten eingezogen small.jpg
    Neue Stecknieten eingezogen small.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 383
  • Rostige Nieten Wasserhalter.jpg
    Rostige Nieten Wasserhalter.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 372

This is because of the rear shock: I dismounted and cleaned it. From what I can say it works, I can adjust it by rotating the big nut under the spring but that's all.
But it is very soft and rotating the nut under the spring is a mess, as I don' have the correct tool key for it.

I'm wondering about typ and brand of the shock. I believe it is an elastomer fork, as it does not have a valve!? There is only one cross-head screw, that's seems to be the only option to disasssemble it.

Anyone here having an idea about more details?

Attachments

• Kona Rear Shock.jpg
    Kona Rear Shock.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 377
  • Damper small.jpg
    Damper small.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 377

Tightening the ring on the shock will only adjust the ride height. If it's too soft you'd need a new spring to improve it.

Now the funny part : As you know I have a lot of older Marzocchi stuff in many boxes.
I remembered a box full with black springs in 2 variants for rear Marzocchi shock and searched them to make a comparision to the one used in this 'Kona' shock
Picture enclosed. The longer one will probably not fit. But the shorter one (120N/mm) may do the trick.

So changing the spring might be a way to make the rear shock a little bit stiffer ...!? :)

I'd like to have the details about the spring which is originaly mounted ... but this will be difficult to find out unless we find one of the gurus here @ RetroBike :) :)

Attachments

• Springs small.jpg
    Springs small.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 364

Another simple progress : I thought about the cable adjustment, I'd like to have the Magura brake lines in the frames cable holder (I don't want additional cable binders or other 3rd party parts on the frame). Unfortunately this are all stop holder for wire lines.

Lucky me this is a frame with disc mounts and the swing which holds the dics mount has two 'open' cable holders to let a brake fluid line through.

So what I did is to drill the 4 aluminium rivets of the holders carefully out and was able to take them out without any damage. I will exchange 2 of the other cable holder with this ones (don't know which ones yet). Pressing new rivets as almost so easy.

As I don't use disc brakes I'm loocking for some blind plugs to close the 4 little holes (it is about 2mm diameter).

Another thing I decided is to have the Magura Evolution holder grey/silver and reduce black parts on the bike. I tried to buy some used one and learned about Evo and Evo II and that they are incompatibel.
So I guess I will sandblast some black ones and paint them silver/grey or may be silver metallic, as this seems to be the colour Magura parts.

I also did cleaning of the chainring, the back Shimano rear derailleur 9x and found out that the 3x front derailleur does not fit to the frame because of it's geometry - it needs to have the mounting clamp on top.
I have another one, a Shimano Deore XT FD-M760A E-Type, not that much used, which I try next. Will see, I think an E-Type will change the chain geometrie, as it moves the chain ring about 2mm to the right side - I don't know about that much yet.

Attachments

• Swing - Cable Guides replaced Disc.jpg
    Swing - Cable Guides replaced Disc.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 336
Re:

This takes me back.In the mid 90s I wanted a proper downhill bike and in 1995 I got the Sintesi catalogue,they were phasing out the Bromont and had the Hantrax and the Bazooka.I got the Hantrax as it was an all rounder,complete with DH3s and first gen Formula disc system.The Larm distributors logo :cool: .

One of my friends has an Hantrax (custom labeled) for sale ;-)

I'd like to have the red brace form the Hantrax XC600 (or have also seen on a XC700) ...

Attachments

• e034d39a-aaf0-4d53-8eee-b127f2052a03.jpg
    e034d39a-aaf0-4d53-8eee-b127f2052a03.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 329
  • Sintesi 1995.jpg
    Sintesi 1995.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 329

Little update: I grinded the seatpost tube with some round brushes and today the seatpost adapter metal sleeve (27,2 --> 29,2) arrived and fits perfectly!

I was not happy with the first test cable routing in the middle part - around the center swing - cables flying around :/ Will add pictures later.

So I searched for other Sintesi/Verlicchi frames about cable routing on the Bromont frame and found out, that there are different ones. The one I like has 2 additional cable mounts on the reinforcing strut (add 2 pictures for this) - I think I will add them too to my frame.

I also will receive the stem today, got a set of grey Magura Evolution II (will exchange with the black ones) ... so I have most of the parts to make a first complete mount and test the setup.

I still don't like the black pieces, e.g. the black shift cables. I will go to red ones. The Magura ones made out of steel will stay for the first try. I think I can unmount the rear one (-> picture) to be able to carry it out through the center frame and the cable mounts.

Attachments

• Dave Cullinan's Iron Horse FS Works 9fc82e71.jpg
    Dave Cullinan's Iron Horse FS Works 9fc82e71.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 296
  • ++24 Tizumo's 1994 Verlicchi P8141075 marked.jpg
    ++24 Tizumo's 1994 Verlicchi P8141075 marked.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 297
  • Evo exchange.jpg
    Evo exchange.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Kona Center.jpg
    Kona Center.jpg