My KONA EFS / Sintesi Bromont Fully (1992 - 1994?)

Re: KONA EFS / Sintesi Bromont Fully (1992 - 1994?)

So, here we are after fumbling around the details in the last night. I just did some test drives and setup feels almost well. Gearing and Maguras are working perfect. Happy me :)

My next doings:
- will exchange the black gear shift lines against silver/grey ones. This fill fit better to the Magura metal (Stahlflex) ones
- I found a cool set of Sachs Power Grip Wavey Shifters red (NOS), that fit much better than the older SRAM grip shifters I have; it is 8gear, so I have to change the gearing from 9 to 8, but that's o.k.
- rear swing needs to be a little bit taffer, lucky me I was able to mount another spring in (stronger)
- I'd like to have a red brace for the DH3, the ones with holes from the XC600. I think I will go for a try with spraying. As the Magura braces also need spray because of corrosion I think about sandblasting and spraying them also in the same colour. For me nothing can win against eloxal, but this might be an exception.

Attachments

• Tschakaa (3) small.jpg
    Tschakaa (3) small.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 530
  • Tschakaa (2) small.jpg
    Tschakaa (2) small.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 530
  • Sachs Power Grip Wavey Shifters red 800px.jpg
    Sachs Power Grip Wavey Shifters red 800px.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 529

Update about rear shock : It seems to be a Marzocchi C25 or C35. My shock does not have a label or identification marks, I have seen a 'Marzocchi' label on pics on the net from a Sintesi Thruster and a Bromon (added). The shock on the Thruster is a longer one than that on the Bormont. And I found and added the manual.

It is a oil-/air suspension shock. From what I read in the manual you need a special tool to pump air in ( Ref. C, Marzocchi item R 5055, 'Pressurizing tool').
It is something like an outer pressure champer (there is no outer valve) - so this will probably a very difficult task and I do not have seen this before nor I have an idea about :-/

Service kit : MARZOCCHI 850553.

Manual is here.

I have another FoxAlps4 which fits, this might be an alternative.

Attachments

• Marzocchi Tools Service C25 C35.jpg
    Marzocchi Tools Service C25 C35.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 493
  • Marzocchi C25 - C35 Cover Manual.jpg
    Marzocchi C25 - C35 Cover Manual.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 493
  • Thruster Rear Suspension C25 - C35 marked.jpg
    Thruster Rear Suspension C25 - C35 marked.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 445
  • Marzocchi Rear Shock Spring 600px.jpg
    Marzocchi Rear Shock Spring 600px.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 444
Re:

gorgeous bike - great work!!

Those grips though ... comfy as they may be, they just don't quite suit the build.

Re: Re:

k-rod":23ujed4w said:
gorgeous bike - great work!!

Those grips though ... comfy as they may be, they just don't quite suit the build.

Do you mean the Grip Shifter or the handlebar grips?

Re:

handlebar grips.

I had put the exact same ones on my Brodie Romax initially, but since I'll likely not ever put tons of miles on it anymore (it's way to pretty now) ... I nixed them and went with some more period/aesthetically correct Grab-Ons instead (the cork ergonomic ones that came off the Brodie went onto my - also really pretty - SHERPA/Rocky Mountain build that is my go-to/shopping/utility bike now).

Of course, what I think doesn't really matter a wit anyway ... as long as you like your finished work!

:cool:

Understand. I always have problems with my wrists, I'm experimenting with the handlebar and grips.

Just came back from a tour, feels o.k and it's better than usual grips, but I'd like to have something softer ... and I will buy another handlbar with more rise, something like the orignal one (see on the red Sintesi Bromont catalog photo).

This is from the manual above, it show the various setups for C 25/C 35 and the other picture shows the spring I found in my boxes (left: original one on my Kona; middle: has been mounted know (a bit longer and taffer); right: too long).

Travel :
C25 = 25 mm (1 inch)
C35 = 35 mm (1.37 inches).

Wheelbase (from what I understand and measured this is the axle to axle distance) :
C25 = 135 mm (5.3 inches) - means this is shock is mounted in the Sintesi Bromont
C35 = 155 mm (6.1 inches) - means this is shock is mounted in the Sintesi Thruster

Attachments

• C25 - C35 Springs 800px.jpg
    C25 - C35 Springs 800px.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 444
  • C25 C35 Available Springs.jpg
    C25 C35 Available Springs.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 445

Update : I did some fintuning and test drives and it feels great so far.

Added/changed:
- Sachs Powergrip Wavey shifters (red, 8-gear)
- 8x rear derailleur
- new Stahlflex front brake line
- added vario seat post
- new stem - vario (red)
- changed gearing cable casing into grey ones
- changed Magura Evo I Adapter from black into grey ones
- changed sprocket set to 8x (and Z22 - 25 for my needs)

Happy riding!

Attachments

• _KONA almost finished 20200801 1000px.jpg
    _KONA almost finished 20200801 1000px.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 385
Solution for cable mounts on Verlicchi frames

Just an update on spares : During working on cable mounts I was searching a long time about red anodized cable mount replacements and found some at AliExpress for less €€ - one in a package.

For my rebuild I ended in moving 2 cable mounts from the left back swing (for disc brake lines)) to the center frame, but need to drill it out.

Now I'm also in need to have some open cable mounts to be able to exchange also the back hydraulic line (new pressed Stahlflex - it is also a little bit to short) - it won't fit through closed cable mounts.

So this little wonderparts can do this trick. I received this today - you can order in all colours and the hole - hole distance is the same. You can use the black clip to hold the lines or just use some cable ties. I like it ;-)

Check out AliExpr. for other anodized parts, it is a great source.

Attachments

• Dimensions.jpg
    Dimensions.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Mount example.jpg
    Mount example.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Cable Mounts.jpg
    Cable Mounts.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 362

Latest posts

Back