My 1994 Norco Nitro

Well, I wasn’t really liking the blue hubs with this purpley frame, and despite their being a very nice wheel set, I couldn’t keep them true. I’m no longer the svelte 165 pounder I once was, so I figured a wheel set that was a bit more burly was justified.

Interesting that, about the Nitro being a much better frame than my old Kona Kilauea. I don’t even know what tubing was used in this frame. But the reinforcing rings at the head tube are a nice touch, as is the pump peg. And, those dropouts are lovely...

Thanks fo looking!

Well, I wasn’t really liking the blue hubs with this purpley frame, and despite their being a very nice wheel set, I couldn’t keep them true. I’m no longer the svelte 165 pounder I once was, so I figured a wheel set that was a bit more burly was justified.

Interesting that, about the Nitro being a much better frame than my old Kona Kilauea. I don’t even know what tubing was used in this frame. But the reinforcing rings at the head tube are a nice touch, as is the pump peg. And, those dropouts are lovely...

Thanks fo looking!
Either the rims are toast or it needs a better lacing job. The spokes are probably fine and so the hubs.

Subjective really, I really like the ride of the mid nineties Kilauea's, the '93 is a benchmark I use against other steel frames, and for me personally I have not found a nicer riding frame.

I had a 95 Kila, of Tange Concept Prestige tubing, that I still regret selling 17 years ago. My all time favorite bike; even more so than my other high end MTB, a 2003 Curtlo Epic Mountaineer of True Temper OX Platinum tubing:

FA8DB861-AE73-4388-96CE-DECAC75B140A.jpeg

As far as those other wheels go, they are very nice and may end up on something else; I mostly didn’t like the blue hubs… they’re laced up 3x both sides with DT butted spokes and alloy nipples and even tension so I don’t see how they’re built improperly.

Anyway, the Nitro isn’t going anywhere as it’s the closest I’ve come to my old Kila in many years.

Thanks for looking!

Back