My Geoffrey Butler build 1 of 2

Re:

Still trying to get a small enough picture to post. Last one was 3.36mb so still need to get the resolution smaller.

On a different point, I had to be rescued today by my wife. Since the build, I have had an issue with the non drive side of the bottom bracket coming loose. However today the bolt fell out somewhere mid ride. Last time it came loose, I used a spring washer and it has held for a few weeks. Last resort is threadlock. Any suggestions on how to keep it tight?

It's a Campag chorus BB on it. Drive side is ok and never had a problem with it

Re:

Still trying to get a small enough picture to post. Last one was 3.36mb so still need to get the resolution smaller.

On a different point, I had to be rescued today by my wife. Since the build, I have had an issue with the non drive side of the bottom bracket coming loose. However today the bolt fell out somewhere mid ride. Last time it came loose, I used a spring washer and it has held for a few weeks. Last resort is threadlock. Any suggestions on how to keep it tight?

It's a Campag chorus BB on it. Drive side is ok and never had a problem with it

That's Very pretty!

Do you mean the bolt that attaches the crank arm to the bottom bracket axle?

They don't normally cause problems when torqued up correctly which makes me question whether the arm is seating correctly on the BB axle taper.

Re:

That is correct.

The bolt came loose on its shakedown ride and it put a spring washer on it and has been ok until today.

I have nicked one off my mtbs and put ptfe on the threads as well as a spring washer. I didn't go daft tightening it so will see how that goes.

I have also ordered a pair of campag bolts as well and will check the torque setting when fitting them.

Never had this issue before and strangely the drive side is ok and bee problem free.

Fraser

Nice looking GB and yes that's an odd issue.
Surely that can only be a torque issue, if there was a worn thread problem you'd feel that tightening it up

Re:

Not even sure it's a torque issue and definitely no stripped threads. I think it might be related to vibrations. It's strange. Worse case scenario is if the new bolts don't work, I will get a new bottom bracket and see if that resolves it.

The pedal is seating ok, as I cycled about 8 miles after I thought a bit of movement and when I stopped I realised then that the bolt was missing. I then cycled a further 2 miles before stopping as the pedal arm was getting loose at that point.

Remember the European made ISO square taper spindles are slightly longer, tapering down to a smaller end than the Japanese Industry Standard (JIS)
Might be worth checking

Re:

Good point. The crank arms and the bottom bracket are both campag and the drive side has been faultless since the build.

I will see how it is tonight when I head out on it.

Re: Re:

Frag68":2uwxiapr said:
Good point. The crank arms and the bottom bracket are both campag and the drive side has been faultless since the build.

I will see how it is tonight when I head out on it.

Are you sure it's the original Campag BB axle and not an aftermarket replacement? If the bolt were to bottom out on the axle it would torque up before the arm was fully tight on the taper.

Back