My 1996 Kona Kilauea Project

flyagaricus

Retro Newbie
Just thought I would share a little project I've been working on over the last couple months.

I decided to overhaul and breathe some new life into a 1996 Kona Kilauea that was given to me a while back.

I did a deep clean on the chain and sprockets, mechs and the bike in general. I replaced and re-greased the wheel bearings front and back, re-greased the steering bearings. Touched up the paint in a few places with Testors laquer.

New parts:

- DRBike Seat.
- Bucklos 660mm handlebar.
- K PEDC pedals.
- Bontrager rubber grips
- Bontrager LT3 Hybrid tires
- Jagwire shifter cables and housings
- Vbrake noodles
- New brake pads

I have orange Jagwire brake cables and housings, but I left the Shimano cables for now as I kinda like the black/orange contrast. :) What do you guys think?

I've never so much as changed a tube before taking this project on, so I learned a helluva lot in the process! I'm pretty happy with the result overall.

Before:

bike0.jpg

After:

kona-side.jpg
kona-back.jpg
kona-bars.jpg
kona-front.jpg

I think you've done a fantastic job especially considering you've not even changed a tube before.

Just thought I would share a little project I've been working on over the last couple months.

I decided to overhaul and breathe some new life into a 1996 Kona Kilauea that was given to me a while back.

I did a deep clean on the chain and sprockets, mechs and the bike in general. I replaced and re-greased the wheel bearings front and back, re-greased the steering bearings. Touched up the paint in a few places with Testors laquer.

New parts:

- DRBike Seat.
- Bucklos 660mm handlebar.
- K PEDC pedals.
- Bontrager rubber grips
- Bontrager LT3 Hybrid tires
- Jagwire shifter cables and housings
- Vbrake noodles
- New brake pads

I have orange Jagwire brake cables and housings, but I left the Shimano cables for now as I kinda like the black/orange contrast. :) What do you guys think?

I've never so much as changed a tube before taking this project on, so I learned a helluva lot in the process! I'm pretty happy with the result overall.

Before:

View attachment 535242

After:

View attachment 535243
View attachment 535245
View attachment 535244
View attachment 535246
Looking good👏

I think you've done a fantastic job especially considering you've not even changed a tube before.
Thank you. Yeah, typically I would just take my bike to a local bike shop for any repair/tune-ups but they closed down permanently. So this year I decided to to learn myself. Started with the brake pads and when trying to index my gears I realized just how dirty my cassette and chain was, and some people on forums said the sluggish shifting could be cables or housing. So on and so on. Anyway, after I started pulling everything apart, I just decided to make her pretty while I was at it :)

Thank you. Yeah, typically I would just take my bike to a local bike shop for any repair/tune-ups but they closed down permanently. So this year I decided to to learn myself. Started with the brake pads and when trying to index my gears I realized just how dirty my cassette and chain was, and some people on forums said the sluggish shifting could be cables or housing. So on and so on. Anyway, after I started pulling everything apart, I just decided to make her pretty while I was at it :)
I learned much the same way. It really isnt rocket science just trial and error. A few specialty tools but not much really. Very satisfying to be able to do it yourself

I learned much the same way. It really isn't rocket science just trial and error. A few specialty tools but not much really. Very satisfying to be able to do it yourself
Agreed - the hardest part was just getting the necessary tools to make life easier. :)

Agreed - the hardest part was just getting the necessary tools to make life easier. :)
Yup. Crank remover is nice and a good set of cable cutters and a chain tool. I use a ghetto hardware store all-thread setup for headset press and an old seat post to knock it out. That and allen keys will do most everything.

Yup. Crank remover is nice and a good set of cable cutters and a chain tool. I use a ghetto hardware store all-thread setup for headset press and an old seat post to knock it out. That and allen keys will do most everything.
I used my dremel to cut through through the cables - worked quite well. The headset cups are the only part of the bike I didn't remove.

Back