My 1996 Kona Kilauea Project

flyagaricus

Retro Newbie
Just thought I would share a little project I've been working on over the last couple months.

I decided to overhaul and breathe some new life into a 1996 Kona Kilauea that was given to me a while back.

I did a deep clean on the chain and sprockets, mechs and the bike in general. I replaced and re-greased the wheel bearings front and back, re-greased the steering bearings. Touched up the paint in a few places with Testors laquer.

New parts:

- DRBike Seat.
- Bucklos 660mm handlebar.
- K PEDC pedals.
- Bontrager rubber grips
- Bontrager LT3 Hybrid tires
- Jagwire shifter cables and housings
- Vbrake noodles
- New brake pads

I have orange Jagwire brake cables and housings, but I left the Shimano cables for now as I kinda like the black/orange contrast. :) What do you guys think?

I've never so much as changed a tube before taking this project on, so I learned a helluva lot in the process! I'm pretty happy with the result overall.

Before:

bike0.jpg

After:

kona-side.jpg
kona-back.jpg
kona-bars.jpg
kona-front.jpg

Antwack

Devout Dirtbag
I think you've done a fantastic job especially considering you've not even changed a tube before.

domo

Dirt Disciple
Just thought I would share a little project I've been working on over the last couple months.

I decided to overhaul and breathe some new life into a 1996 Kona Kilauea that was given to me a while back.

I did a deep clean on the chain and sprockets, mechs and the bike in general. I replaced and re-greased the wheel bearings front and back, re-greased the steering bearings. Touched up the paint in a few places with Testors laquer.

New parts:

- DRBike Seat.
- Bucklos 660mm handlebar.
- K PEDC pedals.
- Bontrager rubber grips
- Bontrager LT3 Hybrid tires
- Jagwire shifter cables and housings
- Vbrake noodles
- New brake pads

I have orange Jagwire brake cables and housings, but I left the Shimano cables for now as I kinda like the black/orange contrast. :) What do you guys think?

I've never so much as changed a tube before taking this project on, so I learned a helluva lot in the process! I'm pretty happy with the result overall.

Before:

View attachment 535242

After:

View attachment 535243
View attachment 535245
View attachment 535244
View attachment 535246
Looking good👏

flyagaricus

Retro Newbie
I think you've done a fantastic job especially considering you've not even changed a tube before.
Thank you. Yeah, typically I would just take my bike to a local bike shop for any repair/tune-ups but they closed down permanently. So this year I decided to to learn myself. Started with the brake pads and when trying to index my gears I realized just how dirty my cassette and chain was, and some people on forums said the sluggish shifting could be cables or housing. So on and so on. Anyway, after I started pulling everything apart, I just decided to make her pretty while I was at it :)

Mortonm

Kona Fan
Thank you. Yeah, typically I would just take my bike to a local bike shop for any repair/tune-ups but they closed down permanently. So this year I decided to to learn myself. Started with the brake pads and when trying to index my gears I realized just how dirty my cassette and chain was, and some people on forums said the sluggish shifting could be cables or housing. So on and so on. Anyway, after I started pulling everything apart, I just decided to make her pretty while I was at it :)
I learned much the same way. It really isnt rocket science just trial and error. A few specialty tools but not much really. Very satisfying to be able to do it yourself

flyagaricus

Retro Newbie
I learned much the same way. It really isn't rocket science just trial and error. A few specialty tools but not much really. Very satisfying to be able to do it yourself
Agreed - the hardest part was just getting the necessary tools to make life easier. :)

Mortonm

Kona Fan
Agreed - the hardest part was just getting the necessary tools to make life easier. :)
Yup. Crank remover is nice and a good set of cable cutters and a chain tool. I use a ghetto hardware store all-thread setup for headset press and an old seat post to knock it out. That and allen keys will do most everything.

flyagaricus

Retro Newbie
Yup. Crank remover is nice and a good set of cable cutters and a chain tool. I use a ghetto hardware store all-thread setup for headset press and an old seat post to knock it out. That and allen keys will do most everything.
I used my dremel to cut through through the cables - worked quite well. The headset cups are the only part of the bike I didn't remove.