** Mountain Mayhem 2022 - ITS ON ! (in a fashion)

My fellow team mate says the weathers looking dicey...obviously the forecast will change a million times before we get there but how's it looking? :LOL:

Pretty sure Dave and me saw you in the pits, near the end of the day.

I really enjoyed Saturday's event. Given what it was, it was a good turn-out with representation from a number of clubs. It was definitely more on the serious side of riding but with a wider course, and a positive vibe around the place, there was zero grief, compared with 2019 where there were a few grumbles on course.

We got very lucky with the weather. The forecast looked grim. The closer I got to Marton Lodge, the greyer it got and as I pulled up next to Dave's motorhome, it tipped down. That was as bad as it got for the rest of the day, with only a few short showers and given the cover across the course, the rain was quite welcome to cool down. It only turned to heavy rain after 20:00 (more on that in a mo).

The course was a copy paste of 2019 which was no bad thing, with a few tweaks: 1 line not 2 not out of the second/third decent, wider corners across, and I think a slightly shorter climb out of the first climb section. It wasn't as bumpy and more loamy in places, presumably because of this years weather compared with how dry it'd been in 2019.

SQZTdr.jpg

The legs were good, the back less so, but that's retro for you! For 2023, I'll defo bring the modern bike so I can do some double laps. The Hot was super to ride but I had a mare with the granny ring which unbeknown to me, I'd walloped last weekend and bent 3 teeth so the chain kept dropping. After some gentle persuasion with a screwdriver and hammer, it was sorted and the last lap was mechanical free, resulting in a full lap without pushing. Hurrah!

We chatted with Pat a few times after the podiums (some seriously good performances). He's pretty frail these days, but in good spirits and was stoked that they'd been able to pull it off, his son now picking it up after they got company control back.

Fair play we all got a beer and some food for finishing. The raffle had some decent prizes although I don't think they mixed the numbers very well :LOL: ;) The bar-bus was well stocked and the evening entertainment was, well, err, interesting: the most diverse set of karaoke songs I've ever heard, sung in the style of a west-end show. It was a talking point and I'll leave it at that! The DJ never appeared...

My only gripe was the lack of representation from this forum. I appreciate everyone's circumstances and drivers are different. Many of us have had wonderful MM's (far more than me), creating long-lasting memories and relationships. The reaction when 2022 was announced, was apathetic. Like most things, if we don't use it or support it, we'll lose it.

That said, I'm sure 2023 will be amazing, especially as it's the 25th anniversary edition. So roll on next year!

Good summary, I did spot your hot from afar looking lovely! It was my first ever MM and I had a good time despite the evening weather. Modern machinery for me though, not sure I would have coped on my rigid cinder cone...

Good summary, I did spot your hot from afar looking lovely! It was my first ever MM and I had a good time despite the evening weather. Modern machinery for me though, not sure I would have coped on my rigid cinder cone...
Good man, come say hi next time.

Respect to the handful of fully rigid runners, including 2 single-speeds and a couple of "gravel" bikes.

Good job @al-onestare
York show & tell was a giggle for the Northern RB clan but with no off road rides on offer we pretty much all agreed we want to do MM’23

Back