Modern tyre advice

jwh12

Dirt Disciple
Hi

Has anyone got any recommendations tyre wise for modern rubber?

Am I right in thinking most of the modern tyres are totally different in terms of profile and volume......

I have 2.2 continental cross kings on a 94 Attitude - they just about fit but they aren't right - I will run them down as they weren't cheap but just wondered if anyone had any other ideas really.

I am looking for a fast rolling tyre, I only do around 30% of my riding off road, and then on light trails.

Any ideas welcome!

Re:

yeurgh I have used various Continentals. Anything other than the top chilli products, they tend to hang on in turns and then suddenly let go and throw you on the ground. We have the injuries which accompany that. I do not use the, anymore. I recognise that you say that you are mainly NOT doing off road - but you do need the grip when you are doing that. Hi grip off road = Schwalbe Hans Dampf front and rear, or rear with a Magic Mary up front. They do some excellent mixed tyres which will give you less grip off road, but good longevity and low rolling resistance on road. Have a look at the Schwalbe website. They have improved their compounds massively in the last few years, whereas Continental seem to have stood still. Use the folding ones for lower weight but go big carcass (but compatible with your rim internal measurement). Maxxis also have some excellent mixed tyres. Good design, good compounds.

I have no complaints about the continentals and if for mainly for on road pottering, then they are more than adequate.
I don’t hammer my retro rides and am happy to put the continental wire bead race kings or cross kings on. For less than £20 per Tyre delivered I don’t complain.

Re:

Thanks - the ones I have are the expensive black chilli ones.

For what I use it for, no particular complaints about the tyre itself, but will have a shop around.

Re:

My mate has used Kenda Smallblock 8's for years and really likes them.

I had 43mm Panaracer Gravel Kings on my drop bar Marin and they were surprisingly grippy off road.

Not sure if either come in 26" though? Recommend Schwalbe as well, the Magic Mary/ Hans Dampf combo on my full suss are the best off road tyres I've had and blow the black chilli Conti's I have out of the water so imagine their less hardcore tyres will be worth a look.

Re:

See if some of the 2.25 Schwalbe will fit, go for a more leisure and hence also road, perhaps smart Sam's or the new alternative.
Drop to 2.1 if needed for the frame.

Even Nibby Nics should be fine on the road and excellent off road.
(or Rapid Rob/Tough Tom, heaver but belted up for protection come in 26 2.1 and 2.25.
They even have a Marathon Plus MTB now.

Hardest part will be buying any of them.

jwh12":3miuo9ot said:
Hi

Am I right in thinking most of the modern tyres are totally different in terms of profile and volume......

I have 2.2 continental cross kings on a 94 Attitude - they just about fit but they aren't right - I will run them down as they weren't cheap but just wondered if anyone had any other ideas really.

I am looking for a fast rolling tyre, I only do around 30% of my riding off road, and then on light trails.

Any ideas welcome!

I quite like Black Jacks. They have a bit of a center ridge, but cope well in light off roading. They hold mud so not great for winter off roading, but overall a pretty good tyre I feel. Also, not expensive.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":32i4akk8 said:
Hardest part will be buying any of them.

Aint that the truth. It's a total pain to find anything and whats there is often massively overpriced. Still, I really feel for the LBS's, it must be a nightmare at the moment.

I recently put some Continental Double Fighter IIIs on my mum's bike and I really like them. I've only tested them on dry, undemanding off-road though, so not sure how well they would cope with anything else. They feel really good on the roads, turn in fairly quickly without feeling unstable.

jwh12":27rv75ba said:
Hi

I use the Hans Dampf and Magic Mary, but only when it's an absolute shitfest or i'm throwing myself down steep muddy stuff. For what you're talking about, don't. They're like tractor tyres and massively over kill (basically Enduro/DH-Lite tyres).

Racing Ralph or Nobby Nics would be far better for what you're going to be doing.
Or see if you can find Maxxis Ikon/Ardent Race/Ardent in a suitable size, Ikon being the "fastest" version and Ardent the grippiest. Just ridden Ardent (in 29x2.25) through a swedish winter with minimal upset, rode Ikon and Ardent Race all through last summer too.

Back