Recommendations of a good capable off-road tyre that's available in 26"

I've been pretty happy with these for the last 12 months..

fullsizeoutput_3328.jpeg

IMG_3290.JPG

Duro Marvick 2.10 out back & Raider 1.95 front has served well. I might splash out on some proper tyres though soon...

Ultimately it depends where you intend to ride. If it's canals, steady bridal way's, nothing too aggressive you'll be fine with most options. If you want to ride it like a modern bike on modern trails you'll need something better, unless you want to fall off.

If you want to ride it like a modern bike on modern trails you'll need something better, unless you want to fall off.
Please can you explain what you mean by that ?

What can a modern bike do that my old fully rigid can't ?
I just pick my line rather than just crashing headlong into the oncoming terrain like the full suspension boys do.

What's a modern trail ?
If you mean man-made jumps, huge berms etc then no I'm not interested in riding stuff like that

I've ridden the same fully rigid bike since the 90's on all sorts of terrain. I've ridden all over the Lake District (used to live near there). Ridden up and down Helvellyn & the 3 Dodds, Skiddaw as well as a lot of trails around Staverley and Kentmere to name a few, everything from bogs to dried up rocky stream beds. Yes I come off from time to time but that's usually 'cos I've done something stupid like ride when it's snowy and icy :)

Agreed, rigid can handle anything within reason that a modern could. By within reason I mean "mountain biking" rather than stunting/jumping or suchlike, but then ridden by a skilful rider they can do that too, just maybe not last as long (Look at Sam Pilgrim's free bike challenge steeds)

The '89 Giant has been pretty flawless on local MTB parks the few times we've got out recently, even the uber-bumpy Clayton Vale hasn't phased it apart from the headset locknut vibrating loose (no doubt the races look like lunar craters too, but that's just 1" things lol)

I still like the old style Nobby Nics as an all rounder (now called something else, cheaper but heavier)
Couldn't fault it on my 97 Explosif.

Wet, dry, muddy, peaks, moors, roads, grass, always did a fine job.

I also liked the Charge Splashback, even in the mud and wet, it was just a bit more interesting to use than the Nobby Nics in the sloppy clingy mud and it really excelled at showing your skills on thin surface mud or wet grass.
Shame they stopped making them.

Please can you explain what you mean by that ?

What can a modern bike do that my old fully rigid can't ?
I just pick my line rather than just crashing headlong into the oncoming terrain like the full suspension boys do.

What's a modern trail ?
If you mean man-made jumps, huge berms etc then no I'm not interested in riding stuff like that

I've ridden the same fully rigid bike since the 90's on all sorts of terrain. I've ridden all over the Lake District (used to live near there). Ridden up and down Helvellyn & the 3 Dodds, Skiddaw as well as a lot of trails around Staverley and Kentmere to name a few, everything from bogs to dried up rocky stream beds. Yes I come off from time to time but that's usually 'cos I've done something stupid like ride when it's snowy and icy :)
It's simple really, my 29" full suspension bike with good quality off road tyres and modern geometry is far better off road than my retro bikes, old 650b gravel bike or even my 29" XC hardtail. I'm still riding the same trails I did in the 90's and there are plenty of sections I never cleared bitd that I'd be happy to ride now. There are also plenty of local rides that are much more of a challenge on less aggressive tyres at this time of year. I came off my XC bike last week on a section that wouldn't have bothered the full suss.

A fully rigid retro bike can handle most terrain, it's just that for technical, rocky, rooty or steep stuff a modern bike with modern geometry will tackle it in a less scary way, which then gives you the confidence to try things you probably wouldn't before.

As for tyres, any bike whether retro, modern, 650b, 26" or 29" will be improved by good quality current tyres suited to the terrain and conditions you are riding.

Sticky compounds like Maxxis 3c, Continental black chili or Schwalbe maxx grip will go a long way towards sticking to wet roots and rocks compared to a single, dual or harder compound. DHF/DHR would be my go to sloppy conditions tires, although that's for the modern bike.

True a vintage bike can handle just about anything a modern bike can, just reduce speed for the sake of safety and comfort. A few friends decided to do a vintage class team Enduro race with me this summer. We are all competitive and ride the modern bike at a pretty acceptable pace. Most trails around here are Enduro format anyway, steep ups and steep downs. The old bikes (Stumpjumper M2, Stumpjumper FSR and Mountain cycle Moho Sts) all completed the race. Time wise we were 20-30% slower than the modern bikes. Comfort wise... Outside of climbing up it was not fun going down. We all had 80mm+- up front and that was not enough for the speed and terrain. But we did win :) (only team competing in vintage) If we had the option, going to tubeless would have been a big upgrade, 30psi did not help the situation.

Latest posts

Back