Modern indexed downtube shifters (10) on a steel frame.

Seanaus is right, the 7800 are great levers and are reverse compatible with 9 speed too. Here is the UK you seem to be able to find 7800 far easier than new 7700.
I use the 7700 on my Mercians and my Surly LHT and use 7403 on several others.
I prefer downtube shifters for sure over STI, but it's all down to what your used to and what you like.

Jamie

Re:

Thanks. I used downtube shifters for my racing up until I stopped in 1997 (on a Ribble 531C) and continued cycling occasionally, with DT shifters, until 2010 when I bought a new bike with 105 STI. I'd imagine the muscle memory is still there for the old gear levers!

After the last ten years and an aluminium Ambrosio (too rigid and horrible to ride), a carbon Dolan Hercules and a steel Soma (my everyday bike and good but no classic steel frame), I still crave the comfort of a Reynolds 531 bike. The Dolan has a Syntace P6 seatpost, 25mm tyres and TB14s and that offers similar comfort for sure but the design of the old steel frames seem to lend themselves to good comfort levels. I had no idea about more modern bikes when I came back to cycling in 2010 and things had changed! Stiffness seems to have been a major consideration in more modern bikes but that's no good for older hands like me who now just want a comfortable bike to enjoy and get some fitness.

Hopefully the rust won't kill this project before it has started. I'll hopefully sand down the worst rust spots tonight and that will reveal the state of affairs. With Level 5 lockdown here currently, it'll be a while before it goes to the painter for full clean-up and final assessment.

DD.

Re:

Here are some photos of my frame that I hope to restore but a closer examination today is likely to see the project finished before it ever starts. I think the rust is surface rust and doesn't affect the integrity of the frame structure. At least that's my hope. Anything here that more expert eyes can see that render the frame dangerous to ride?

P1015548 by Liam Aherne, on Flickr

P1015549 by Liam Aherne, on Flickr

P1015550 by Liam Aherne, on Flickr

Brake bridge after a little sanding.

P1015551 by Liam Aherne, on Flickr

Now comes the big issue and possibly the damage that kills the project. Halfway down the right seat stay is a fairly deep dent and it looks like the stay is bent.

P1015552 by Liam Aherne, on Flickr

P1015553 by Liam Aherne, on Flickr

P1015554 by Liam Aherne, on Flickr

Can that stay be repaired/straightened and even just have the dents filled prior to painting or is it too far gone? I held a steel rule against the outside of both rear stays. The damaged one appears to be fairly well straight to my eye but will need to be examined by a qualified frame repair outfit to be sure. Any thoughts and advice is welcome.

DD.

Re:

I have managed to track down a set of Dura Ace 7800 down tube shifters at a just-about-affordable price. Next up are the derailleurs themselves. Besides the 7800 rear derailleur, what other rear derailleurs are compatible with these levers in indexed mode? Will either Ultegra RD6600 or 6700 work with those levers too?

I'll need a band-on front derailleur too. My preferred chainset is the Stronglight Impact with 46-34 chainrings. Can anyone recommend a version of a 105 or Ultegra front derailleur that will do the job? Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

DD.

Just a standard 9 10 or 11 speed double front derailleur in either 105 or Ultegra will work.

Jamie

Re:

Any 9 or 10 speed shimano rear mech will work, but not Tiagra 10, as this shifts like shimano 11. Tiagra 4600 9 speed is ok.

I assume front is friction shift, so anything would work. I would avoid a 11 speed front mech as it will be designed for a narrow 11 speed chain, and if youre using a 10 speed chain, it might rub more than you want

Yes, my apologies as Pigman reminded me with his post about the 11 speed being the odd one out. 8,9,10 compatible throughout pretty much. My excuse is I have never gone past 9 :)

Jamie

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards an Ultegra 6600 derailleur for the rear and a 105 or Ultegra front derailleur.

DD.

Re:

Personally I think ultegra 6600 front and rear would be a good choice. It's designed as a 10 speed set up, it's silver and would match the levers, performs as well as DA 7800 .... it weighs a few more grams, but what the hell, and price and availability is good

Back