Modern groupset on a Retro frame - anyone done it

I have just inherited an 80's J.H.Wilson frame with a Shimano 600 groupset. I am in the process of modernising it, including a bigger cassette from 6 to 8spd (for the very steep local hills), wheels (tubeless to clinchers), STI shifters/brifters to replace the downtube shifters. The front set is a 52-42 and the rear is 11-32. I don't think the current rear derailleur will work in this system as the the max cog size is 28 and also, maybe not with friction shifting.

This is my first project ever so I'm still a bit unsure about a few things! Can anyone offer advice in regards to replacing the rear derailleur? Would a 105 work?

The length of the rear derailleur cage is the important bit, they can be short, medium or long.
Larger cassettes require longer chains which means the derailleur has to be longer to take up the slack when using the smallest cogs.
The Wiggle guide in the link explains it all.

The length of the rear derailleur cage is the important bit, they can be short, medium or long.
Larger cassettes require longer chains which means the derailleur has to be longer to take up the slack when using the smallest cogs.
The Wiggle guide in the link explains it all.

That's great, thanks. I'll have a look!

Hi everyone. Has anyone run modern carbon rims with vintage calipers?

Reason I ask is I want to ask if someones manage to get the modern carbon brake blocks to work with their vintage calipers. I've seen a few vintage bikes with modern groupsets, but not one with _just_ modern rims. I want to build a bike with the juxtaposition of a modern carbon rim against a classic italian bike/groupset.

I'm modernising mine gradually. I've changed the wheels to more modern ones and the rear mech. I may change the brakes next for dual pivot and then maybe change to 2x10 with sti's.

Attachments

• IMG_20210529_173241.jpg
    IMG_20210529_173241.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 21
Any retro Colnago looks good with modern kit so long as it the modern Campag kit 👍
That’s a nice looking build & the blue is lovely.

Latest posts

Back