Middleburn cranks help - spider removal

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hopefully someone can help me here. I've got a set of square taper middleburn cranks, assume rs7 as the spider is held on via a lock ring.

Sounds normal right? The odd thing is, the spider doesn't sit on top of the spider and hold it in place, it sits in a recess in the spider and is flush with it.

My spider removal tool that has worked on countless other middleburn cranks doesn't fit as it is slightly wider than the lock ring holes, and the holes themselves are smaller to boot.

Is there a special tool that will fit or even an alternative option to remove it? Previous owner has clearly had a go and failed.

Also, another odd thing with these cranks are the ring bolts. Again I have a tool that has never failed in slotting in to the rear bolt while I use an Ellen key on the other side to remove the bolt. In this case the tool is too wide and can't get into the gap as the ring is in the way.

Any other tools that will help me get the bolts out? I don't have a wide enough screwdriver that is thin enough or that would work.

Cheers

Re: Middleburn cranks help - spremoval moval

Normally the main tool is an XTR bottom bracket tool.

The Park chainring tool has two different fits and certainly this can be a problem with one end. But if it's aftermarket chainring bolts then you may be stuck. I would grind the tool edges down on a bench grinder.

Re:

That's the thing. I'm using an xtr lock ring tool which doesn't fit, and the usual double ended bolt tool.

All a bit strange.

I've had this issue too. Over the years, Middleburn have altered specs (improved?)
and differences in specs can be subtle to blatant (how far the cranks sit on the tapers altering
Q-factor, chain line moving from 47.5 to 50mm, lock-ring thickness, lock-ring profile, etc.).

My Icetoolz removal tool worked perfect for every spider except an old RS8 XC triple - the solution
was to grind down the tool so the teeth do not protrude over the lock-ring diameter. I can post a
picture up if you want.

Do not attempt to use screw drivers etc. for the lock-ring :!:

PS: The Shimano chain ring bolt tool just fits in older thicker Middleburn chain rings.

Re:

Cheers, looks like I'll be getting the file out tonight then.

For my benefit, is the lock ring sitting within the confines of the spider and flush with it by design. There really doesn't seem to be any space between them.

Maybe I have some rs8s, though I thought these were ht2 style?

The diameter of the recess in the spider is just a fraction larger than the lockring outer diameter - or should be at least!

I used a spare lockring as a guide to grind the tool down to the right diameter. You don't really need to worry
about the depth of the tool teeth. Also I used an angle grinder, because I like the sparks. Didn't take too long,
but for sure I found it a PITA as like you expected it all just to fit.

Re:

If you have a pic of yours that would be helpful. I think mine is also ice tools but seems to be too big both ways ie. Outer and inner.

Picture bomb.

I will correct myself, it is a Xtool (not Icetoolz), probably bought from CRC years ago.

Used an old lock-ring to check diameters (chewed up by previous owner :facepalm: ).

Actually, a fair bit of material needed to be ground off looking at the tool again.

The teeth / pegs could do with being taller on reflection, so perhaps there is something better on the market?

Either way, this works and gets me by!

Attachments

• Xtool3.JPG
    Xtool3.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 704
  • Xtool2.JPG
    Xtool2.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 704
  • Xtool1.JPG
    Xtool1.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 703
Re:

Looking at the fit of my tool, it is too big on both the outer and inner sections of the teeth. Might be time to invest in a new one?

Back