mecacycle Style Frame

Floydskipper

Retro Newbie
I have had this frame since the early nineties I bought it of a club mate and used it for time trials,I am not sure off the history but I think it was made in France
It Is a small frame 20.5 inch
I would like to sell it I also have a couple of nice tubular wheels with vintage Spidel hubs

Attachments

• E2739DB2-E20F-4E7C-82C8-75A2049BF8EB.jpeg
    E2739DB2-E20F-4E7C-82C8-75A2049BF8EB.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 40
  • FB0F74A0-CB9A-41CB-AD20-392E2B6BB07E.jpeg
    FB0F74A0-CB9A-41CB-AD20-392E2B6BB07E.jpeg
    749 KB · Views: 36
  • 19150535-A6E7-4869-84CE-23AC405FC200.jpeg
    19150535-A6E7-4869-84CE-23AC405FC200.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 36
Mecacycle was a bespoke cycle manufacturer based in Saint-Étienne, France, it was operating for 10-15 years from the late 1970's to at least the late 80's. The firm was either started by, or brought in it's formative years by ex Mercier frame builder/designer Raymond Crozet.

Mecacycle frames were well known in Europe for their frequent use of superb fillet brazing in the construction of many of their signature frames, though they are not that well known outside of Europe, as many of their frames carry the decals of the cycle shops that distributed Mecacycle frames.

The signature Mecacycle was the Turbo road model which has a double seat tube design which the rear wheel sits neatly in-between, to provide a very short and responsive wheelbase.

Mecacycle was a bespoke cycle manufacturer based in Saint-Étienne, France, it was operating for 10-15 years from the late 1970's to at least the late 80's. The firm was either started by, or brought in it's formative years by ex Mercier frame builder/designer Raymond Crozet.

Mecacycle frames were well known in Europe for their frequent use of superb fillet brazing in the construction of many of their signature frames, though they are not that well known outside of Europe, as many of their frames carry the decals of the cycle shops that distributed Mecacycle frames.

The signature Mecacycle was the Turbo road model which has a double seat tube design which the rear wheel sits neatly in-between, to provide a very short and responsive wheelbase.
Thanks that’s good information,do you know of other frames builders who used this design

Several UK builders used the design for USWB time trial frames. I'm sure Nob has some photos to share:)

Here's a Mecacycle brochure I have. I had a chance to buy a frame some years ago but I didn't as I had to many projects at the time.

Attachments

• MecacycleFrame.1.A.jpg
    MecacycleFrame.1.A.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 14
  • MecacycleFrame.2.A.jpg
    MecacycleFrame.2.A.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 15
  • MecacycleFrame.3.A.jpg
    MecacycleFrame.3.A.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 14
I had a Bespoke built by Norris Lockley as above.. me in 1983
Brilliant photos
I’ve got a bit more information about the frame it was bought new in Leicester probably from Owen Blowers bike shop around 1985/86
It was plain white no decals It was sprayed the colour it is now at Rolls Royce in Coventry and the paint work is still good now

I reckon there may have been a few finished off by various shops fitting their transfers. As stated above I nearly bought one - the vendor had 2 - and I'm sure one of them had Woodrup transfers on.

Back