mazda 6, anyone owned or own one?

The best diesel engine ever made is the Volvo D5, so easy to repair, diagnose and fix. Having worked at a Volvo dealer for a few years they never gave any problems. When remapped get even better torque and MPG (Thats my day job)

I like SAABs but the 1.9cdti engine 150 has DPF, Turbo and Swirl Flap issues, all simple to repair and fix. Again another good diesel engine is the 3.0d from the BMW engine, again fantastic engine (have remapped mine 245bhp, and still get 47mpg)

You will find bad things with most of the common engines. stay away from the 2.0d BMW Engines and 1.6d engines in the Fords and PSA

That SAAB engine is Fiat derived and I wouldnt touch them with a pointy stick or touch the pointy stick with a pointy stick afterward. I've run a few and are pig sick of them.

legrandefromage":uvgudhmt said:
That SAAB engine is Fiat derived and I wouldnt touch them with a pointy stick or touch the pointy stick with a pointy stick afterward. I've run a few and are pig sick of them.

Me and a friend were chatting about these engines and modern derv engines in general. He was saying that the root cause of most common derv problems are the EGR systems that they run and recirculating and re-burning the exhaust gasses these gasses. They clog up the EGR system itself and stick open or closed with an EML light on, clog the swirl flaps causing the actuating mechanism to jam and break and contribute to the variable vanes on the Turbo sticking and causing limp or bad running due to overboost. Ironically the EGR system causes more smoke than without it and a delete doesn't impact MPG at all. Stupid system.

Carl.

I've not had much to do with egr on modern diesel engines, only the land rover 300tdi engine. I do know that removing the egr and de-cat gives slightly better performance and running on these engines and it seems a few people who own modern diesels are going for a re-map and have the egr blanked and removed from ecu.
We have been looking at some other cars recently though, she has broadened her search a fair bit. I know some of the cars she's been looking at are more problematic than others. Citroen cars that our lass currently has in mind; c4 Picasso, I know that a de-pollution message can come up on dash and that it can be for a number of reasons from a fuel filter which is a cheap easy fix to sensors and injectors which can get very expensive I know. Citroen c5. I haven't read up about these as yet but if one comes up at the right money then I will do my research.
Cars that are out of the search are, vectra, mondeo, any Renault.
Our ideal car will be something with plenty of space for pushchair, shopping, bikes, kids toys etc. A mpv would be ideal especially one like a zafira or Picasso where the seats fold flat in to the boot. I know for extra storage we could always buy a roof box or something but what's the point buying a new car that does less than the one we own now? We also want something that will pull a caravan. I know if we go with the 1.6hdi in citroen cars it won't be ideal for pulling anything over a ton but most caravans that would be ok for us are around the ton Mark so would be ok. But which is the better engine the 2.0 or the 1.6? We've already had the conversation of remapping and for what it costs and the benefits it gives its going to be worth having it done as the car we buy is going to be one we keep for a good while.
I know this has now been a long running thread and plenty of advice given, I thank you all for your input, good or bad, it is very much appreciated.
Thank you
Leigh

Leighcal":xynrmsh4 said:
I've not had much to do with egr on modern diesel engines, only the land rover 300tdi engine. I do know that removing the egr and de-cat gives slightly better performance and running on these engines and it seems a few people who own modern diesels are going for a re-map and have the egr blanked and removed from ecu.
We have been looking at some other cars recently though, she has broadened her search a fair bit. I know some of the cars she's been looking at are more problematic than others. Citroen cars that our lass currently has in mind; c4 Picasso, I know that a de-pollution message can come up on dash and that it can be for a number of reasons from a fuel filter which is a cheap easy fix to sensors and injectors which can get very expensive I know. Citroen c5. I haven't read up about these as yet but if one comes up at the right money then I will do my research.
Cars that are out of the search are, vectra, mondeo, any Renault.
Our ideal car will be something with plenty of space for pushchair, shopping, bikes, kids toys etc. A mpv would be ideal especially one like a zafira or Picasso where the seats fold flat in to the boot. I know for extra storage we could always buy a roof box or something but what's the point buying a new car that does less than the one we own now? We also want something that will pull a caravan. I know if we go with the 1.6hdi in citroen cars it won't be ideal for pulling anything over a ton but most caravans that would be ok for us are around the ton Mark so would be ok. But which is the better engine the 2.0 or the 1.6? We've already had the conversation of remapping and for what it costs and the benefits it gives its going to be worth having it done as the car we buy is going to be one we keep for a good while.
I know this has now been a long running thread and plenty of advice given, I thank you all for your input, good or bad, it is very much appreciated.
Thank you
Leigh

Ignore the Citroen's, have a look at the Mitsubishi Grandis 2.0 DiD. I sold one recently that we'd had for about 5 years. Outside of servicing and consumables it needed a front suspension arm in the 5 years (30k miles covered and sold on 90k). Bigger than the C5, towed our Bailey Senator Oklahoma (not a small van, but a Grandis can pull 2 tons anyway) to France and back 5 times, 7 up last year too. Decent MPG from the 2.0 VAG engine (but none of the VAG problems), which can be remapped to 170bhp. My only issues is that our never had cruise control and it occasionally went into limp mode (caused by the overboost alert on the ecu, which was due to sticking VVT vanes), which was easy to reset by switching off and on again.
Warrior spec is well kitted out too with a really hard wearing black leather interior, DVD entertainment system and later spec got cruise too. I only sold ours as we needed another pickup for our family excursions. I think they are a nice looking design too.

Carl.

My neighbours 2.0HDI has just gone into meltdown. The fuel pump went. In attempting to start it, the broken pump has so far damaged the crank shaft, stretched the timing chain and damaged the cam followers. The bill is currently sitting at £1500 to £1600 so far.

Re:

In another life I was a Field Service Manager with 60+ staff, we had to run Vauxhall cars with no option to change makes. I don't think a week passed without at least one breakdown in the 5 years I was there.

Later I changed jobs running a similar number of vehicles [Toyotas this time]. I can only remember one "breakdown" in 5 years which was a screen washer pump taking about 3 days to arrive. They did seem to get broken into a lot though, so security may be a consideration.

In yet another job I had :roll:, engineers had Vauxhalls and managers had Audis. The cost to service Vauxhalls was always far more than the service charge from VAG. Also there seemed to always be small faults to be rectified where the Audis just needed to be serviced so the total cost of ownership may be important to you.

My son worked for the AA as a dispatcher where the staff held regular sweepstakes, [Derby, Grand National etc]. On number plate change day they held a sweepstake for which make of brand new car would have the most breakdowns with Citroen being the usual favourite to win. Sadly the L.R. Freelander won that year. Of course VAG cars were covered with the RAC so not a very scientific test but enough to scare me off these two makes.

I've had Audis, a Mazda and a SAAB and would happily buy again.

On the other hand b_ll_cks to all this, just get the car that makes you smile. :LOL:

Back