Mavic Wheels - Idiots Guide

Aha. White industries hubs. I was thinking of these ;

Lovey wheels though. Nice build.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
They apparently changed naming convention several times.

From what I know which isn't much, in circa 2010, the XC series, 317 up, 317 being heaviest and 717 being lightest/weakest (most expensive). The latter "17" referring to the internal diameter. 17mm.

EX in contrast, were for "extreme" use.

But I admit, I find it super complicated to work out. No wonder they went bust. How hard can it truly be to grade your products based on model names.

All I know is, for the high end bikes our parents had as kids in the late 80's/early 90's, I think they all ran Mavic 231 with SUP on them. Perhaps it was an initiative by french brewers.

This is probably about as helpful as a kick in the balls, but it's the sum total of my knowledge.

Someone asked the same question a few years back.
Not sure it helps but suggests they could be OEM

This is the range from 217 to 238 without missing some nice rims:

Mavic Spec https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/u...CrossCountry/Jantes/Jtes217-220/97MTBRims.pdf

117-217 weight 410gr
220 looks the same as 217 without doble CD and coatings weight 420gr
221 different from 220 and 217.
238 similar section as the 221 but with more width (one is 22 the other 23)

DH 121

Best rims? 117 or 217 and 220 for the mid 90´s period for XC. I like how they looks. They are quite similar except for the colour and coatings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back