(Marin) Catalogue Bike Weights are they actually accurate

afp401

MacRetro Rider
Having looked at some weights in marin/kona catalogues it looks like bikes lost 2kg from early to mid 90s.

Since there seemes to be a large fan base for early muddy fox (and I like flouro green) I got a 1990 courier comp. 20" frame.

I liked the fox until I decided to weigh it.
I can't remember if it was 16kg or 14kg. And that was without mudguards, Rack, a kick stand etc. etc. (can't re weigh as it now has a heavy child seat attachment)
Is a Marin Bear valley SE and above really 3-5kg lighter in real life?
Or is the qoted sub 11kg or something weight for the smallest frame size without pedals and tires or something?
How much of this extra weight is in my frame?

Re:

Most companies used questionable methods of weighing bikes / parts back then.

It's likely to be the smallest size with no pedals as a bare minimum!

Re:

About right weight quotes for the 'typical' example. 17" fresh from the box sort of thing.
As for the 740g rockstar forks...i've yet to see some. I've had several forks with that sticker on that vary wildly from 780g-910g. various steerer lengths too.

When the pounds turned to kilos things got a little better, especially further up the ranks pine/team sort of stuff.

Re:

Bikes did drop a load of weight between 1990 and 1993 iir. Part of it was down to cheap alu bars, seat posts, stems etc replacing cheap steel ones on low to mid range bikes. Also, lighter groupsets, tyres and wheels. Add all that together and you could easily lose a load of weight simply by spec'ing what was available.

Seem to remember Marin really going hard with the low weight stuff 1992/3 with suggested weights down 3-5lbs across the range.

Re:

Anyone prepared to weigh thier large frame real life example? (preferably a few people)

Rather than dither and wait for something lighter to come up I should probably just stop using the weight as a reason to procrastinate:
buy the berthoud fenders… the bar, stem, grips I want… and man up for those hills.

90 bear valley, some nice kit but also some heavy kit, slicks, but not particularly light ones :

WD :D

WD Pro":11ay57i2 said:
90 bear valley, some nice kit but also some heavy kit, slicks, but not particularly light ones :

WD :D
Ah, the memories - my favourite build thread.

Latest posts

Back