Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
afternoon.

has anyone any experience in restoring the finish on the legs of mag 21 sl ti forks?

i am assuming the magnesium is polished, then painted with a gold tinted clear coat?

anyone got any experience to share before i give it a go?

The reason RS stopped polishing the fork legs of the Ti SLs was the risk of combustion.

FMJ":1q51vw9o said:
The reason RS stopped polishing the fork legs of the Ti SLs was the risk of combustion.

Really? I've had a blow torch on the legs of mine and couldn't get them to light. They're an aluminium/magnesium alloy, not pure magnesium.

The originals are a polished leg with a tinted powdercoat. I couldn't find a match, so painted mine. Use an etch primer as your base layer.

It takes a fair bit of heat to ignite a lump of magnesium. I've lit a few engine cases and hubs up, and it's not a quick process. Small particles however, will go up easy peasy, and there's a cascade effect once they start. Putting it out is not an easy task.

Re:

I have a machinist mate who had a major problem turning down some magnesium wheels (that he was told were alloy), whilst someone else in the workshop was welding. Made all the worse by the fact they were both doing barra jobs

Back