Made a Rear Brake Adaptor for Parallel mount/Klein bikes

urbanfireblade

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I spent a couple of hours at work today making a rear brake adaptor for my Klein Attitude comp, which up till now has had the original Hayes parallel fitment calliper on it.
This is a solid bit of kit, and is way better than the current offerings. :D

Attachments

• . 072 50%.JPG
    . 072 50%.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 3,811
Very nice :cool:

I think you should do a nice cut-out to save weight and maybe par down the upper mounting flanges a bit too. The rear brake dosent get that much force compared to the front so you can get away with a lot less material if you wish.

You could get it anodised too :cool:

WOW chunky
:shock: That would survive an earth re-entry

Any notions to remove the center metal CNC style :?

Chunky, yes :cool:
I used some 1/4" Ali angle plate to make it, didn't want to bend one out of flat sheet as our 3mm ali at work is generally HE-30 which just cracks when bent(Pah!).
Will look to getting it lightened, probably 2 lines of 3 holes in increasing size, say 10, 15 and 20mm diameter going from the frame mounting outwards following the 2 edges.
OR
maybe a fancy 'KLEIN' CNC out of it!
Who knows!
As for annodising, i'd have to wait for a work job to be sub'd out to the London and Brighton Plating, which i can chuck it in with.

Most probably i'll just go for lightening holes and a polished finish with clear annodising, as the time and effort involved to do a bit of fancy machining i just can't justify. :cry:

What i want to aim for is a mount that will be able to accomodate various callipers, i have an avid juicy 5 calliper to try on it sometime, but for now its gonna just be used as is to make sure its good.

oooh - is that supported anywhere other than on the chain stay? I'd be surprised if that didn't flex. :?

That type of frame seems to be more common than I thought and the problem is the amount of space you have to fit a caliper.

You are using a post mount caliper that I suspect will not fit within the rear chain stay-seat stay triangle.

I had the same problem so although my "standard" is shimano XT 4 pot, I had to fit a Magura Marta front IS caliper as this is one that will fit in the space ... just :shock: ; the rear one can go on the forks but with 180 mm disc.

see here

Lol, 02gf74. Nice thread!

I positioned the calliper where it is as i've seen a couple of others like mine, albeit only half as thick material. :D

here's some pics(excuse the quality of 1st pic, iphone, thats all i'll say :LOL: ),

i finished it in my lunch break today. Will eventually clear annodise it.
BTW, weighs 94g, or 3oz. Whichever your lingo is!

Enjoy!!!!! :)

Attachments

• . 090 50%.JPG
    . 090 50%.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 3,646
  • . 091 50%.JPG
    . 091 50%.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 3,643
  • . 106 50%.JPG
    . 106 50%.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 3,636
  • . 109 50%.JPG
    . 109 50%.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 3,635
Lol, are these pads even biting on the disc?????

Attachments

• !BwpE8c!EWk~$(KGrHqV,!hcEv1+0KMiGBMJ7)OFVVw~~_3.jpg
    !BwpE8c!EWk~$(KGrHqV,!hcEv1+0KMiGBMJ7)OFVVw~~_3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3,639
Back