MacRetro chat and rides thread

So who fancies a trip to Tarland this spring? 😃

Wee midweek skive to check out the new trails. Middle of nowhere but only took 90 minutes, so less than GT and not that much more than Dunkeld.
Very man made and bike parky and currently pump track smooth. Imagine Comrie blue or Bazza’s berms on steroids and you’re not too far off. Nothing very technical but red gets steep and tight and is a challenge to ride fast and smoothly.
Blue jump line is fun, despite me casing every landing. One very dark blue step up jump that seemed a bit out of place compared to the rest.
Need a few visits to get comfortable on the reds, some VERY fast sections.

Totally knackered. Only second time this year on the big bike and did nearly 17 miles and 3000ft climbing. Hoping I recover by Sunday 🤣

I think it would be even better in a group, chasing each other down. Would make a great double header with Heartbreak Ridge.

D3538A1A-9E9C-48F5-87B0-8916289C3C4F.jpeg 1E7010F3-A0B4-48AC-BFF2-A149D0E126C2.jpeg 774B0045-7F0F-4ACC-8903-7A50779B7265.jpeg F60F5B5C-B91C-4D36-967E-24553469A5F8.jpeg

Looks good, be better when it's more worn in and gnarly.

I have I admit, not ridden my new modern mtb for a few months. Partly this was due to the fact peeing rain and mud feature heavily in North Argyll and mainly I have not bothered my backside to get out on a bike, my bad😞
So went out this evening in brilliant sunshine and rode a rough rocky, gravelly stretch of upper beach. Ordinarily on one of my retro steeds I'd grind to a halt frequently and possibly give up. The On-One Scandal 29er went over the lot almost as if it was not really there, wow😊👍

Now need to get a wee bit more practice in before Sunday😁

You certainly had the best of the weather for it today Clubby. Think I prefer more natural trails, but no denying trail centre stuff can be a lot of fun.
I'm a clown wheel convert, just makes sense to me.

Wee midweek skive to check out the new trails. Middle of nowhere but only took 90 minutes, so less than GT and not that much more than Dunkeld.
Very man made and bike parky and currently pump track smooth. Imagine Comrie blue or Bazza’s berms on steroids and you’re not too far off. Nothing very technical but red gets steep and tight and is a challenge to ride fast and smoothly.
Blue jump line is fun, despite me casing every landing. One very dark blue step up jump that seemed a bit out of place compared to the rest.
Need a few visits to get comfortable on the reds, some VERY fast sections.

Totally knackered. Only second time this year on the big bike and did nearly 17 miles and 3000ft climbing. Hoping I recover by Sunday 🤣

I think it would be even better in a group, chasing each other down. Would make a great double header with Heartbreak Ridge.

View attachment 731911View attachment 731913View attachment 731912View attachment 731914

Paid an early morning visit to Tarland yesterday, hoping to beat the crowds.
"The Early Bird Catches The Berm" 😄
There were a few folk cooking breakfast in their campers when I arrived, but I think I was the first one up the trails.
The climb to the top is long but kept interesting by the switchbacks and the views, more interesting than a long slog up a fire road at any rate.
Stupidly I left my phone in the car, so thought I'd reached the top, only to later find I'd missed "High Pressure" 🙄 ah well, there's always next time .
Still very new and manicured, but great fun.
My favourite bit I think was "Bermuda" into "Spine" going across the moorland, quite fast & flowy.
Also worth mentioning the sizable berms of "Snakes" just before you reach the car park. it's possible to downhill from the very top of the trails all the way to the car park, a good few Km's of fun.
I'll definitely be back sometime soon to ride the bits I missed, it's only 40 minutes from me too 😀

Didn’t get to ride Spine as it wasn’t open on my last visit.
High Pressure was good, a bit of an extra height to gain but worth it. Top to bottom run is pretty immense, was dead by the bottom set of berms.

Just been notified Braemar Mountain rescue called to Tarland today as a mtb'er faceplanted and had to be evacuated PDQ :oops:

Back