Lug less Frame Crack

I like the idea of this track retro-mod. And I know there is velodrome my side of York with reasonably priced training for velodrome accreditation.
So you've got me thinking about my 70's international frame but I've no experience of building a track/fixie from components newer than 1958! :LOL:
Can you expand upon your component choices? or make any recommendations?

Ps how has it been received by the track gang? raised eyebrows? Amused bewilderment? or pleasant interest?
To answer PS first it was a club night on this occasion, a couple of people I know well were impressed how light and simple/clean it was. I'll get more reaction on future track nights in the summer, but they have come to expect me to tune up on something old and unusual. I'll probably get the most reaction on our Sat. club rides when the weather improves.

As for components I typically look for top end of the main manufacturers so it does cost a bit, ~£1500 for each of the three lightweights I have built. (Lo-Pro, Pro. SL and the Inter.), that's twice what I expect to spend on any other build. That does seem to be a good balance between cost and weight with out going really stupid.

My recommendations are
Durace Hollowtech II BB/crack set & Durace SPD-SL Pedals. Plenty secondhand options.
SRAM Red Aero or TRP Brakes with carbon TRP cross top levers
Ritchey Stems and bars, but have also used cheep China options to good effect, all depends on weight.
Head set Miche, titanium. I also like their hubs, light and good value, got several sets of these now on various bikes.
Mavic open pro rims with DT Swiss DB spokes. The Lo-Pro has Shimano Carbon composite rims which I got second hand for a good price.
Forks are a problem, I have used Columbus 1" thread less, but they are difficult to find. 300g as new which drops when you cut them to length. Half the weight of good steel forks.
Frame weight (bear) ~1.75Kg with the lo-Pro at under 1.7Kg. Check the weight of the Inter. frame my Italia sprint from the 70's is heavy at over 2Kg. that's giving away 300g to the CB lugless frame above. Std. 531 DB can easily get to 2Kg, Holdsworth Pro frames are still quite heavy until the use of SL tubing, the Pro SL Retro frame is close to 1.8Kg

You may have noticed no Campag, I hate to say it, but too expensive and not light enough. If you want mode exact details let me know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back