Losing "grip" on reality

Tangleha

Retro Newbie
Just embarked on my first retro build..

Trying to solve the handlebar grip problem.

I want either gt waffles as standard on the bike I am building, a 1992 gt or even better onza ules or porcupines as that's what I had in the day.

Anyone give any advice on how to get these perishable items looking period? I don't want to put on modern grips, it's not right!

Cheers

Kev

Just embarked on my first retro build..

Trying to solve the handlebar grip problem.

I want either gt waffles as standard on the bike I am building, a 1992 gt or even better onza ules or porcupines as that's what I had in the day.

Anyone give any advice on how to get these perishable items looking period? I don't want to put on modern grips, it's not right!

Cheers

Kev
What do the original GT grips look like?
Is this the modern version?

1992 GT's would have come with these GT anatomical grips. I think they were just branded GT at this point (as opposed to GT/Amé collaboration on previous years):
Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 12.47.16.png

They'll set you back a small fortune so the repro Onza Ules @grey-beard shared a link to would be the cheaper and potentially more durable option. Also @grey-beard thanks for that deadrats link, never heard of them before! 👍

1992 GT's would have come with these GT anatomical grips. I think they were just branded GT at this point (as opposed to GT/Amé collaboration on previous years):
View attachment 782150

They'll set you back a small fortune so the repro Onza Ules @grey-beard shared a link to would be the cheaper and potentially more durable option. Also @grey-beard thanks for that deadrats link, never heard of them before! 👍
They look very similar to the vans waffle grips, I had a pair a few years back.

They look very similar to the vans waffle grips, I had a pair a few years back.
I see what you mean, came across these:
Is this what you had? These look to have the curved profile on them like the GT waffle grips (slight fatter mid-section).

I see what you mean, came across these:
Is this what you had? These look to have the curved profile on them like the GT waffle grips (slight fatter mid-section).
They're the motorbike version, so one will have a bigger inner diameter than the other.

Hi Thanks for the posts, yes the original grips were the gt waffle with no lock on, I have them but they are gooey and disintegrating.

It would be great to get another set but do fancy the onzas which is i am sure what I fitted at that time.

I will check out the French repro link rhanks

Back