97 GT lightning build advice wanted

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
To avoid selling off parts that would look and say nicely on a GT lightning I'm after some advice.

As I'm sure people have figured out from my builds, I'm not one to worry too much about period correctness. I've also taken to heart a thread I read about someone being a bit bored of their builds turning out similar.

With this in mind I'm trying to decide on gearing for the build and looking for advice or a push in the right direction.

Frame is obviously a GT lightning.

Seat post will be a black 5hompson as I tracked one down in the 27.4 size needed. As a result I'll probably use a matching stem. Probably 31.8 to give me more bar options. Though I could go titec ti stem and flat bars with onza ti bar ends too.

Forks I plan to go either with an immaculate set of pace rc39s, or a set of 32mm sid world cups which are NOS, as I've bought all the parts individually to put a set together.

Headset will either be a black Chris king taper lock, or cane creek forty

Wheels I have a few options. Mavic crossmax ceramic XL. All black with the fat zicral spokes. Or I can build up som NOS Mavic xc 717s around either pace carbon front, hope ti rear, or with some black hope pro 3 with the rear MTB spacing.

Tyre wise I'm thinking either a set of grey/black wall Michelin's (iirc) as I can then use a set of grey ules grips and a grey flite ti, or some amber wall Billy bonkers with black grips and probably back flite ti, though if going black, then anything goes really if it looks good and I already own it.

That leaves gearing and cranks.

Gearing wise I have an absolute mint set of m952 brifters, mechs, brakes and cranks, even the satellite shifter for bar ends. I could run 110 BCD or 104 as I've got a ta spider and rings in black.

I could also mount m972 that's almost NOS (well some actually is).

Another option is SRAM xo gearing. Though I'd then be thinking about what cranks would suit. I have some black Middleburn rs7s which are pretty tidy, and I've got a few ti BBS I could use (Royce, hope or spesh). Another crank option Is a NOS caramba sidewinder in black. Or even a modern e13 ht2 that looks a bit like an old school race Face, also in black.

A left field option is SRAM x9 2x10 in red. If I did this I'd contemplate a carbon FSA 2x10 crank and red Shimano dx v brakes, or perhaps some kcnc vb1s. Or avid sl, ti or mag.

I could even go x0 2x10.

I'm not averse to other suggestions, though I'd need to sell stuff to buy, so always an option.

So, thoughts, answers on a postcard etc.

Personally I’d go M952.

Lightning is very understated so anything needs to compliment that. Classy stuff rather than bling.

M952 is probably the direction I'm heading in, or was until I had a rummage. The set I have is practically NOS so a lovely dark shade.

Should I stick with m952 cranks or not? I guess it's pretty easy to try them out and see what looks best.

M952 brakes or kcnc vb1? Not a massive fan of the kcnc levers, look great though I suppose. Dark grey avid ti or mag could also work ...

If you search back on my Lightning I’ve had middleburns , and also M952 on it so should give you a idea. I preferred the M952.

Back