First surprise was the seat post came out cleanly. There was the remains of grease on the post. The bolt took some persuading though.
Emboldened, next was the stem. The bolt didn't want to turn at first, but when it did, the stem also came out nicely, again with traces of grease.
The rear cantis came off ok once the bolts were loosened, and there's minor rust on the bearing surface. Easily polished off.
The crappy front V-brakes were the same.
It was starting to look promising. The bike had obviously been well looked after prior to it's exposure to the elements.
But next was the mudguards and the rack. I doubt they have been removed in the life of the bike because they were fastened with slot head screws, and instead of Loctite they were rusted well into place.
They were proof against my biggest and best screwdriver, but a liberal application of WD40 followed by gripping the heads with multigrips and delicately twisting them got the loosening done.
All except the top right rack mount. That twisted right off, leaving the remains of the screw jammed inside the braze on. That's a job for later, some delicate drilling and ezy-outing. Meanwhile, it gets regular doses of WD40.
You have to question the logic of whoever decided to use a slot head screw inserted from the BB end on the chainstay bridge. That turned out to be immovable. I contemplated destroying the mudguard, but ended up doing some delicate Dremeling without scratching the paint.
Those inconsequential jobs took most of an afternoon.
These look like the originals. Maillard hubs, no axles, cones rusty. No point investigating these further, which is a shame because the spokes are tight and evenly tensioned and the rims are in very good condition.
And then there was this.
It looks like a good wheel, nice spokes, and good rim but because of the surface rust on the exterior, I had no great expectations. However it spins ok, albeit sluggishly, but not graunchy.
So assuming it was another Maillard hub because that's what the QR said, I started a stripdown to see if it was just solidified grease or something nastier.
But once I got the cone spanners on it, I noticed this.
Things were looking up.
The grease was solid, and the balls filthy, but the axle cleaned up nicely, and the cups look pretty good too.