Ladies quality MTB preferably with XT groupset?

Re:

Fair enough to look for a rigid bike, even on gravel paths they are fine for most things - especially given modern tyres (if the frames can fit them!).
Modern 2.2-2.3" tyres can be light and fast-rolling with little rolling resistance but a nice cushion on the bumps!

One question though; which generation of LX/XT are you thinking of when you say that's the quality you want?
It's a serious point, as the most recent Deore mechs & shifters are near identical to that of XT from 7 years ago. I know that's modern, but given the march of progress, it's not worth dismissing some 'lower-level' componentry just because of name or price point.
As an example; the current 'Altus' cantilevers are cheap &, well, Altus.. because all new Big-S canti's are for 'recreational' use - but there is functionally no difference between them and the 1994 M737 XT canti's.

My winter bike has Exage groupset and my wife's has Altus. We bought the bikes new, early 90's and late 90's respectively and both are fine. But when I recently bought a second bike (again early an 90's model) it had full XT (M730) and it is so noticeably nicer in every way. It's hard to put into words but gear changes are much more positive and slick, everything is quieter and smoother. The components are much higher quality with more nicely machined metal parts instead of plastic on the other bikes. The Exage brakes (Koolstop blocks) have much less power than the XT to the point where I now have confidence in stopping which I never have before. This may be partly down to tuning of course and better quality rims. I'm not sure, but I am astounded at the difference in feel between the two bikes. Bear in mind these bikes are similar year, same manufacturer and similar design.

As you suggest, I do run modern light 2.2 fat tyres (Conti X-King black chilli) and find they provide that extra give on rougher ground which helps negate the desire for wanting suspension. Apparently they also have quite a low rolling resistance which is nice on tarmac.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/51cm-BIKE-KUW ... SwfZ1WYete

$_57.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I came across a very small early 90s cannondale, it had the killer v style top tubing, so plenty stand over height. Pepperonis. Built it up with mainly m900 and its seriously light and fast. My partner is 5.5 and its perfect for her.

Back