Kona Ku Serial Number List - update 23/12/23

:cool: nice, thank you pip.

I do like the colour, i assume that would have been a custom choice, even though it is one of their other bikes colour?

mk one":1uj7sg35 said:
:cool: nice, thank you pip.

I do like the colour, i assume that would have been a custom choice, even though it is one of their other bikes colour?
Yes, the colour option for the Ku was the same as the Hot. Apparently you could choose any single colour for either of those models included in the price of £799.95. While an extra £100 for the Flame or Stars 'n' Bars.

Pip

Re:

Rightyho, I have updated the Ku Serial Number List again, which is a rare occurrence!

This new discovery is indeed an Enigma built frame.

We understand that there were only 100 frames produced of this version - Easton Elite Program Taperwall 7005, with Front Mech & Rear Brake Stops on the Top Tube, and Rear Mech Stops on the Down Tube. The Dropouts were identical for the '95, '96 & '97 models.

Pip

Hello, came here to post KU206. I’m not sure of the year but I picked it up in Chico in 1998. It was a raw aluminum frame that I had powder coated AE691018-A3E4-4762-B7C4-207F8495D30D.jpeg in this blue.

Hello, came here to post KU206. I’m not sure of the year but I picked it up in Chico in 1998. It was a raw aluminum frame that I had powder coated in this blue.
Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

Thank you very much for posting this. With a Serial Number of KU206, (with no zero between the "U" and the "2") your frame likely to be a 1995 model. This can be confirmed if I could see the Cable Routing on the Top Tube.

If there is no Cable Stop at the rear of the Top Tube for the Rear Brake (which the require a Dog Collar) then your frame is indeed a 1995 model.

The 1996 models do have Cable Stop toward the rear of the Top Tube and therefore do not require a Dog Collar, or what looks like a Top Tube clamp on band in your picture.

Could you kindly take a picture from the non-Drive Side to show the Cable Stop arrangement, and also a picture of the Serial number, which will enable me to add your frame to the Kona KU Serial Number List.

Finally, we know that the 1995 and early 1996 KU was welded in Chico at Altitude Cycle Technologies, but are you saying that you bought the frame new, with no paint in a raw finish, with the option to have the colour added yourself?

Many thanks,

Pip.

Last edited:

Thank you very much for posting this. With a Serial Number of KU206, (with no zero between the "U" and the "2") your frame likely to be a 1995 model. This can be confirmed if I could see the Cable Routing on the Top Tube.

If there is no Cable Stop at the rear of the Top Tube for the Rear Brake (which the require a Dog Collar) then your frame is indeed a 1995 model.

The 1996 models do have Cable Stop toward the rear of the Top Tube and therefore do not require a Dog Collar, or what looks like a Top Tube clamp band in your picture.

Could you kindly take a picture from the non-Drive Side to show the Cable Stop arrangement, and also a picture of the Serial number, which will enable me to add your frame to the Kona KU Serial Number List.

Finally, we know that the 1995 and early 1996 KU was welded in Chico at Altitude Cycle Technologies, but are you saying that you bought the frame new, with no paint in a raw finish, with the option to have the colour added yourself?

Many thanks thanks,

Pip.

Attachments

• A21EF525-FE2A-44FA-B4F5-1451586E2F55.jpeg
    A21EF525-FE2A-44FA-B4F5-1451586E2F55.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 09B23BFE-A6FD-4E85-9753-82021CD45B4A.jpeg
    09B23BFE-A6FD-4E85-9753-82021CD45B4A.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 51FC5948-6D2A-4443-B58F-C589FEE0A96B.png
    51FC5948-6D2A-4443-B58F-C589FEE0A96B.png
    490.5 KB · Views: 11

The 1996 models do have Cable Stop toward the rear of the Top Tube and therefore do not require a Dog Collar, or what looks like a Top Tube clamp band in your picture.

Many thanks,

Pip.
I bought the frame from one of the welders from Altitude. He and others saved a few from the forklift when they crushed the frames post contract. I got it painted and bought a component package that summer from a local shop. Stand by for the serial, I’ll get a pic.

The 1996 models do have Cable Stop toward the rear of the Top Tube and therefore do not require a Dog Collar, or what looks like a Top Tube clamp on band in your picture.

Many thanks,

Pip.
3DCEC393-8249-4EAC-97B3-C8B399F0D2C5.jpeg

Back