Kona Kilauea 1994 designer

When I took it into my local bike shop the other day the guy said "oh wow nice to see a Murry frame" and I explained it was a 93/94 frame so wasn't sure it was Murray's design and he said he believed that the cutoff is 95 as the frames pre-95 would definitely still be using Murry specs 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

That's pretty definitive and that's exactly the story I heard recently from someone else so I guess we can say that 95 is the cut off because we know that he did design for 1994

I’m not saying it’s true but he is in the 93 catalogue as the designer, and then mentioned in the 94 catalogue with the quote…. “Thanks to Joe, who got us started in the right direction”.

I've owned and enjoyed Kona
bikes since the mid 90s and like to think I have a good eye for what's Joe Murray and what came later and I can see it in the evolution of the bike that I bought from the mid 90s onwards that this bike I have is definitely from that heritage - my 1996 Fire Mountain just doesn't hold up in its aesthetics and build IMHO.

Hang on didn't someone say in another thread that if a Kona doesn't have the fish scale weld joints on the frame then it's post-Joe Murray??

Back