Klien fork change

Coy1970

Retro Newbie
Good evening I need some assistance in changing the fork on my klein I know from looking on the internet that its mc1 but when I removed the stem and rubber circle I cant see how the fork would come out? Any advise would be most helpful

Here is a picture of my bike

Attachments

• DSC07474.JPG
    DSC07474.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 920
Re:

Can't help, but that's the best ever paint job on a Klein in my eyes.

And an Adroit to boot... :)

Never did this by myself yet, but if I am correct, the stem/handlebar has to come out first, like any normal wedge type.
The fork is then pressed out with a special tool.
But why do you want to change it? It'll be very hard to find a repalcement fork that has the special steerertube.
If your Mag is shot, just get a better one and swap over the lower parts.

Thankyou thias for the information you say special tool will my local bicycle shop be able to perform this change? The other fork I have is the same colour as the frame but with no shock I think it will look better that way so that is the reason for the change. I the shock fork on the bike now does not work so great as the bike has not been in use for over 15 years.

Re:

Your local bike shop might very well be very surprised by that bike. :twisted:
I wouldn't count on them having that kind of tool.

If you have the original Klein-fork that came originally with that frame, they are both worth a fortune, are you aware of that?

That mag21 maybe only needs some more air put in? Did you try that yet? 38 to 42 psi on each side, depending on your weight.

If you can install the original rigid fork on it, I'd do that for sure.

There are a few shops out there that still have the tools to do it but you have to know where to look and would probably have to ship the bike there, which isn't cheap. Where are you located? Maybe someone here knows a place to do it.

Alternatively, some people use improvised tools to replace them. I'd prefer that those people who have done that instruct you in that.

One thing to be aware of is that you'll have to buy new bearings for them. They're basically toast after removing them. That said, if they're installed correctly, they'll never wear out or need to be replaced.

This website sells the MC1 bearings that you'll need:

https://www.kleinspainted.com/store/p12 ... rings.html

This is a link to the Klein Technical manual which has a section, using the proper tool, about how to change the fork. See pages 30-34.

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge ... uals96.pdf

Re:

I took mine to a bike shop as I didn’t have the proper tool and didn’t want to damage. I rang a few up and explained it was a Klein MC1 so they knew what it was etc. Most said they knew how to do it and were happy to work on it - cost about £15 but was worth it IMHO for the piece of mind of me not breaking anything :D

Re:

Thank you all for the assistance and knowledge it looks like I'm in the right place for answers thias I am unsure on the value of this bike please enlighten me. I checked the links and it looks a lot challenging than I expected and complicated with using the specisl tool. I am located in a village in Cheshire with no close bike shop and at present the bike is at my parents which I will be collecting soon due to them moving back home.

Re: Re:

Coy1970":13u78yln said:
Thank you all for the assistance and knowledge it looks like I'm in the right place for answers thias I am unsure on the value of this bike please enlighten me. I checked the links and it looks a lot challenging than I expected and complicated with using the specisl tool. I am located in a village in Cheshire with no close bike shop and at present the bike is at my parents which I will be collecting soon due to them moving back home.

Its an adroit and if you have the strata fork with it its worth a very tidy sum indeed mate.
There’ll be plenty of places in manchester or around there pal, have a google and ring around them and tell them what it is you have and need doing and go from there.

Back