Joe Waugh year of manufacture?

estebe

Dirt Disciple
Gentlemen,

I have this joe waugh frame that i plan to refurbish and was wondering if anyone could hepl me with the year it was made. The only marking ( steerer and bb shell) is 7106. Also has Columbus dropouts but reynolds 531 c tubing... Was this common practice? i would have expected campagnolo dropouts with reynolds frame tubing...

Thank you

Can't help you with the year of manufacture but I have a Condor built with Reynolds 531 and Columbus dropouts so not an unknown combination.

Mark.

Re:

I think early 80s when Joe was an international racer
I'm led to believe it was built by Dave yates who built under his own name as well as M.Steel and J Waugh. If that's right, then it's a good frame, cos Dave yates is as good as it gets in frame building

I sure hope it was built by Dave Yeats (as in I know of his reputation as a frame builder), but with my luck the the shop closed down last year and now there is no way of knowing for sure... What makes you believe that it is a Yates built frame? Any hints? Or are you referring to the (disputed as far as I know) fact that Yates produces (most) of the frames built in M. Cycles?

It sure feels like a quality frame , light and has very tidy lug work, I just wish it would have had some engravings like some higher end models?, I mean sans frame decals it would have turned into another please help ID frame threads... I recently saw a lower end Basso frame (columbus Cromor) and must have had 10 different pantographs on the frame/ fork.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Re:

English custom frames are rarely pantographed. The mass produced Italians were good at it

Re:

I think I' ve read this somewhere too, just that i saw a few reynolds 6xx and 8xx Joe Waugh frames which all had pantographs on seatstay lugs/ fork crown...Thank you again for answering, might contact Dave Yates on his website see if he identifies the frame

I've seen lots of Joe Waugh frames with Columbus ends. Ends don't link in any way to tubing, I guess builders just had a preference. Dave has a sequential frame number sequence system. I had a late 80s 653 Joe Waugh numbered 4997. There are a few threads on Retrobike with dating info. One thread has a frame in the 67xx range that I think was confirmed by Dave as 1993?

Dave has the records for these frames, so even though M Steels shop is gone, the records still exist. The records were Dave's and he took them when M Steels frame building ceased and he moved down south. I spoke to him about it a few years ago when I did one of his frame building courses. The Joe Waugh name was mainly kept for road frames, and the Dave Yates name was predominantly used on mountain bike frames and M Steel for other things such as touring frames.

I'm sure a message to him will provide you with the build date. I'm not sure if he charges for the info or even how long it will take for a response but he does have it.

Re:

Thank you, I guess I will write him an email. Very nice bike btw!

Edit> Mail sent, see if he replies

Back