It is ... it isn't ... it is ... an Sbike!

M900 cranks - restored.JPG

I've fitted the TA Specialites middle and outer and original granny that were on the cranks when I bought them. I might need to change them once I get a feel for the gearing.

Progress is progress! This is a great project. Enjoyed reading the complete thread to date this morning and look forward to seeing it come together.
Thank you! I won't promise to finish the whole bike today, but I will finish the rear wheel for certain. Currently 16 spokes are in place.

I'm wildly impressed when people put whole projects together in a matter of days. I know I can do that in the absence of other commitments but that's not my life! So, it's a great relief to watch thoughtful, top quality, slow-burn builds coming together at a pace that still exceeds many of mine. Today, next week, month, year... whatever. It's the process that's important. One spoke, one wheel at a time 👍.

I'm wildly impressed when people put whole projects together in a matter of days. I know I can do that in the absence of other commitments but that's not my life! So, it's a great relief to watch thoughtful, top quality, slow-burn builds coming together at a pace that still exceeds many of mine. Today, next week, month, year... whatever. It's the process that's important. One spoke, one wheel at a time 👍.
Is now the time to admit that probably my best quality frame hasn't ever has had more than a fork and stem fitted (and bottom bracket removed) in the ..... more than 10 years ..... I've owned it?

Last edited:
Is now the time to admit that probably my best quality frame hasn't ever has had nothing more than a fork and stem fitted (and bottom bracket removed) in the ..... more than 10 years ..... I've owned it?

Now is the perfect time :) .

Worthy of a whole other thread: 'Most enduring half-finished builds or Retrobike Projects Anonymous'. I blame the fact that it's much quicker to think of a thing than it is to do a thing. It would take me a while to list the frames, wheelsets and other bits I have in the Carport of Destiny plus the plans that live in my head for them... But some slight progress today which I'll post soon.

Rear wheel looks good 👍 . Frame looks good.

Almost there but .... cassette issues.

I had assigned a cassette to this project, but that was a while ago and I don't remember which. No problem, I have a new 8 speed Miche Primato I bought recently ........ however, when I fitted it on the m900 freehub there is some play, as it is not quite as deep as the freehub. I'm missing something here. I found an old, dirty Shimano 8 speed cassette and that fits the freehub fine. I've checked the Miche cassette and I'm not missing any spacers. It looks like the Miche is sitting further onto the freehub that the Shimano one.

Tried the Miche on a Royce hub and the fit is fine. So is it wear on the m900 freehub or just compatibility issues?

Should I fit a spacer to the freehub before the cassette or wait until I can go to my storage to look for whichever cassette I originally panned to use?

Back