Issues with Spa Cycles - advice?

More than any bit tight.Three steel tyre levers( plastic just bent ) and then a hell of a struggle.Not something you would want to attempt at the side of the road and these are for days when the roads are iced over and rescue is not going to happen.Now on some mavics and working well.First time you corner on sheet ice and nothing gives its a bit wierd.So is riding uphill on about a half inch thick sheet of shiny ice.There are not that many days when they are used but when they are it makes for an interesting ride.

Spa were my go to place for both parts and advice but sadly no longer. Something has changed there over the last couple of years which has really knocked the level of customer service. Maybe they just became too popular and have struggled to keep up with so many internet orders.

I had one experience when I placed an order, then a few days later received a message that my order had been cancelled but without a reason why. I sent an email to enquire but never received a reply.

Another poor experience was regarding their titanium Rough Stuff frames. They only show the geometry for the size 53 frame on the website. I asked about the geometery for the 56 but, for whatever reason, they simply would not provide that info to me. The answer I received was that the frame is similar to their Touring frame but a bit longer. Suffice to say, I have not placed an order for a Rough Stuff frame.

All said though, I am pragmatic enough to still buy items from them if they have what I'm after at a good price, but they are no longer my go to place.

How anyone can enjoy riding on ice baffles me. Having had numerous low speed ice crashes resulting in concussion and the fact that I'm of heavier build meaning i come down hard, means i no longer ride in those conditions. Plus the experience is not enjoyable - perched on the bike rigid with the fear of crashing and any corner is taken a la riding the perimeter of a thre'pny bit. plus you cannot legislate for the competence and luck of any riders immediately around you.

Not meant to be a criticism and if it floats people boats, go for it, but 2 wheels and ice aren't meant to mix.
i did have some difficulty accepting friends doing it this winter when the NHS was rammed and older bones often mean more complex treatment

I had one experience when I placed an order, then a few days later received a message that my order had been cancelled but without a reason why. I sent an email to enquire but never received a reply.

Identical experience to the first one I had with them.

Before ordering the chainset mentioned above, I had placed an order for another crankset, which apparently was no longer in stock even if still listed on the website. But in that case they did call me to notify me before cancelling the order.

How anyone can enjoy riding on ice baffles me. Having had numerous low speed ice crashes resulting in concussion and the fact that I'm of heavier build meaning i come down hard, means i no longer ride in those conditions. Plus the experience is not enjoyable - perched on the bike rigid with the fear of crashing and any corner is taken a la riding the perimeter of a thre'pny bit. plus you cannot legislate for the competence and luck of any riders immediately around you.

not meant to be a criticism and if it floats people boats, go for it, but 2 wheels and ice arent meant to match

I have s strange experince with riding on ice.
A few years ago when I still used to live in Glasgow, I found myself riding on ice. I think it was 2015, and we had quite a bit of snow, which turned into ice along the towpath I used to ride to work.
At the time I was riding a MTB with knobbly, but not too knobbly tires, and to my surprise I found that it was way easier to ride on ice than walk. Of course, the towpath is essentially flat, which helps, but it was such a strange feeling to ride on ice without sliding.
Obviosuly, braking was forbidden :)

Identical experience to the first one I had with them.

Before ordering the chainset mentioned above, I had placed an order for another crankset, which apparently was no longer in stock even if still listed on the website. But in that case they did call me to notify me before cancelling the order.
Crazy thing was, I was about to pull the trigger on a £650 frame from them, but they just wouldn't give me the info I needed to decide which size to go for

Not a very positive experience with Spa recently. Placed an order for a cassette to fix my lads modern mtb. Order dispatched quick enough but they got mine and another customers orders mixed up. These things happen and I sent it back the next day first class. Took about 2 weeks of chasing to finally get the correct part to be sent out. Called a couple of times but either the person I needed to speak to wasn't available or didn't call back. Personally won't be using them again. If you look at Google reviews it seems customer care is not their speciality.

More than any bit tight.Three steel tyre levers( plastic just bent ) and then a hell of a struggle.Not something you would want to attempt at the side of the road and these are for days when the roads are iced over and rescue is not going to happen.Now on some mavics and working well.First time you corner on sheet ice and nothing gives its a bit wierd.So is riding uphill on about a half inch thick sheet of shiny ice.There are not that many days when they are used but when they are it makes for an interesting ride.
Yeah, i've been running various studded tyres for the last 15 years, on the CX, the 26" and now the 29er. They go on in october and stay on until march. Still, if the tyres and rims were the same size, they would have gone on, might be fitting technique, or tight, stiff steel beads... or a combination of things. (Tubeless rims do tend to have a shallow central channel, and only need very thin rim tape, so do tend to immediately and painfully highlight any shortcomings in fitting technique.)

Not meant to be a criticism and if it floats people boats, go for it, but 2 wheels and ice aren't meant to mix.
i did have some difficulty accepting friends doing it this winter when the NHS was rammed and older bones often mean more complex treatment
You're doing it wrong ;) . We even race in ice and snow (and the dark, but, that's not relevant here!!) just need the right kit. 300 carbide studs per tyre, sub 30 psi and you're away ;) (loads of clothes as well!)

Yes the ice was no problem. As said studded tyres make it a doddle. Its a very nice peacefull ride. No cars and only saw one other bike in around two hours.Been fitting bike tyres on various bikes for well over fifty years so am well versed in the job.Took them back to spa and one of the lads had a go.He struggled for around 20 minits and then commented about the rims being tubeless.My main concern was that these were for days when you could not call the wife to come and get you.You are on your own in those conditions and you really dont want to have to contend with tyres you cant get on or off.You need to be totally self reliant with stuff that you can rely on

Back