Issues with GRX brakes - anyone moved to RX4+ calipers ?

Hope and Sram use dot5.1. shimano and magura use mineral oil.

In mtb world this is right.

In road caliper world, hope make versions of the RX4 that are compatible with Shimano shifters (mineral oil) and SRAM shifters (Dot 5)

nice gravel bike @d8mok - how do you find the panaracers? I'm looking from something a bit more road biased to replace my resolutes.

I had/have terrible issues with shimano calipers on my trispter. The LBS have kindly warrantied them for me a couple of times (kindly as I didn't buy them there).
RX4's are on the list of things to buy before the summer.

I thought my reply was perfectly polite. I did say they use mineral fluid but you were very sure you were correct and replied again without fact checking and in that instance bluntness is the only way to correct someone with this ‘knowledge’

Last edited:
I like the Gravel kings. I’ve done around 10k miles on the Enigma now and it’s a great bike. First tyres were Riddlers, then Raddlers and now GK. I prefer the look of the riddler but they GK roll better and grip better too. Also no punctures yet and the WTB had loads

Yes, Grx 400 on RX4, as interim, then found sound Campag Potenza hydraulic levers only, no hoses, so used Magura hoses with the banjo at the lever end and the tiny o rings.
Work fine on both......until GRX level sprung a leak in the master cylinder diaphragm......2 months for a spare to arrive!

RX4+ calipers arrived. Very nicely as usual from Hope

Took the opportunity to strip and clean it a bit. New chain , cables etc.

Calipers on , not bad to bleed really by following the video. Makes a mess though which I’m glad im not using DOT.

Not sure the Rotors I have are a good match as they are Brake track is slightly too narrow for the pad. I’ll see how it goes tomorrow maybe on a ride.

View attachment 602972View attachment 602973View attachment 602974
How have the RX4+ calipers worked out? I've got one sat in front of me to replace my front Shimano 105 calliper that's had constant sticky piston issues. Just waiting on a set of Hope centre-lock rotors arriving. Sourcing parts is such a pain at the minute..

Cheers, Matt

The first pair of RX4+ had a leak from the pistons so we’re replaced by sjs. The second pair are fitted and work really well. Far better than the grx and look nice too. Only done about 1k miles on them but no issues so far.

The first pair of RX4+ had a leak from the pistons so we’re replaced by sjs. The second pair are fitted and work really well. Far better than the grx and look nice too. Only done about 1k miles on them but no issues so far.
I fitted the calliper and rotor today and bleeding the system was pretty trouble free following the Hope videos. Loads of power, easily able to put the bike onto the front wheel with two fingers on the hoods. Skip ahead two hours and I decided to ride the bike to the pub, screaming brakes.. I pulled the pads out and they're covered in oil coming out from the pistons, all four of them by the looks of it. Do you think it could just be factory lube on the pistons and not a leak? Im going to pump the pistons in and out and clean with isopropyl a few times to see what happens. I don't really want to have to remove the calliper and go through the warranty process..

Attachments

• 20220514_181246.jpg
    20220514_181246.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220515_004824.jpg
    20220515_004824.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 7
This is exactly what happened to my first pair.

They screamed so bad and had fluid all over the pads. I tried Cleaning them up but same happened again. The shop said they had never had any issues but I found posts on forums saying otherwise.

My second pair have been perfect though.

Just about to bite the bullet on these, fed up with my rivals being either great or awful, with nothing in between, unless I change pads every 200 miles or so.

Hopefully been hassle free since above?@d8mok or @munderwood

Back