"Isn't modern bicycle technology absolutely wonderful?"šŸ˜

Don't know if these are a CIA-generated conspiracy but do dropped seatstays have any good reason to exist?

Aside from that, pressfit bottom brackets... Nope.
And weird seatpost clamps... Nope.
1711751386059.png

But, yes, there have been many improvements. Not only that, but trickle down improvements have transformed mid-range and lower end stuff for the better.

Last edited:
I dunno, I got back into riding because Covid. bought a 1/2 decent specd 2013 Explosif & the time finally came for some upgrades : namely some wheels & omg what a nightmare - do I have boost or not? super boost? wtf is that??? been a huge pain for me in that respect, but I do think thereā€™s something to the newer geometry(it doesnā€™t look as good as them old ā€˜90ā€™s, tho). still glad I bought it, I really missed riding. also, anybody try that XT linkglide out? the more I read about it, the more I think I should pull the triggerā€¦unless I have to buy a different hubā€¦again. also had some pretty fun times regarding BB's during what I thought was going to be a fairly straightforward crank replacement...yeeesh!

Last edited:
Modern bikes are great, but like so many things in modern life they can also feel like they offer too much molly-coddling. Old bikes are great for nostalgia and something different that doesn't feel like it's doing all the work for you but they're definitely not as competent, nor reliable. The amount of stuff we used to get through in the nineties and early noughties was ridiculous with anything less than XT usually falling apart pretty quickly, tyres slicing themselves regularly and all but DH rims disintegrating as soon as you looked at them. Brakes were crap and front suspension didn't do much other than take out the trail buzz while anything with rear suspension was basic, pedalled like crap, flexed and creaked. I still love riding them though, albeit occasionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
After receiving more than one report/message about this thread I'll be locking it temporarily and get it back on topic

Edit: now unlocked again

Last edited:
Back