Is the price of parts putting you off?

Well...I raised my max bid again to what I thought would surely be a safe number. Nope, got out bid in the last moment buy someone who clearly wanted the item that little bit more than me, with them securing it at the next price increment above my max price - but of course who knows what their max was.
I can make do for now, so I shall be patient! 😤🙄🙃
Ah….well, another story. Been looking for some Suntour xc pro thumbshifters (8speed version) for about 2 years. In france on the gumtree equivalent, not one pair has popped up (hardly any suntour stuff does). Personnally I wouldn’t spend more than 70e’s on this. Then the other day on a FB group, some pop up for 45e’s postage included :). Advertised as 7 speed - not one person was interested. I was, and their mine now. Patience is a virtue, contradicting my previous post ;)

Ah, yes, the room full of bikes and bike bits.

I came in here for one of those bike bits. Or one of those bikes. Or the bits in the shape of a bike that's not quite a bike yet.

Oh well, where to start? Probably best to put the kettle on and maybe have a lie down.

Surely there's something else I need on eBay?

Ah, but the internet. Where is that again? In the room with all the old computers and phones, perhaps. The computers and phones that aren't, anymore, computers and phones, because they don't work anymore. But I've kept them all anyway. Because, well, why would you not?

Its definitely putting me off. I spent close to a grand putting together my bontrager - because I didn't have any of the parts i needed. I've foolishly gone through periods of selling everything off and then starting again, and selling full bikes for low prices only to cave, buy another frame and realise i need most of the same bits again.

There will always be some really rare items - bontrager composite forks for example - that if you want, you just have to pay for, but even then there is a practical (for me) limit.

There are a pair of bonty forks on ebay right now that are at least twice as expensive as any I've seen , along with a glut of overpriced bontrager frames. they've been there for 6 months and will stay there until the seller moves or someone new comes along who thinks thats the going rate.

It also feels like the market is slowing a bit here - seems like less people active and less decent stuff being traded.

There does seem to be a fair bit on ebay just going round and round and round.....no offers accepted. You would think after 6 months people would just want a sale.

The problem is others see these inflated bin prices and think " oh well mines worth that" so on the cycle goes.

I think a lot of people dont even know you can see the terminal selling prices!

I'm pretty sure it's my fault that everyone is charging £500+ for bonty frames. I bought one of eBay for that but agreed with the seller that they would include some switchblades too.

And when you looked at completed prices, you see a frame sold for £500. Ho hum.

Its definitely putting me off. I spent close to a grand putting together my bontrager - because I didn't have any of the parts i needed. I've foolishly gone through periods of selling everything off and then starting again, and selling full bikes for low prices only to cave, buy another frame and realise i need most of the same bits again.

This has been an issue for me recently too. Considered a few frames but when I think about what I'd need to build them the cost goes through the roof so it makes me want to wait for a full bike, or spend the money on something else.....

Latest posts

Back