Is the price of parts putting you off?

I used to want a time machine to abandon the modern world, maybe head back to the 50s or 60s, maybe just the 70s for all the blow and to watch it burn, hell, get there for the dawn of MTB at the end of the decade, hang out with all the greats, be there from the ground up...

Now I'd just take it back to 2015 and clean-up on here!

The only people cleaning up will be cloners. Dont be surprised to see a load of ‘new old stock’ Tension Discs and White Porcs mysteriously turn up for sale 🤣

I bought my hei hei frame new in 1994, built it up with used and sensible budget parts. A triple butted p2 that bike shop had left over in a bin, etc. ss7, 987, xt derailleurs with xc pro shifters. Only thing that bugged me was the impel compact crank.

commuted on it, mtb’d it for years, replaced wheels when rims wore through. Replaced middle ring twice, big ring once. Entire time that crank bugged me, wanted an m900 but never could find one for reasonable price. 2013 friend gave me suspension fork to help with endurance races. Then I started racing modern mtbs, the Kona lives on trainer. Few years ago found a 107mm un91 for $5… just need the crank…

wore out the big ring on impel, now middle ring really worn. Hate investing in rings with weird bcd for this ugly crank…

Found an m900 xtr on eBay with great rings for what thought was reasonable price. Don’t need mint because it will get used. Shipping and tax brought total to $130. 5 weeks to arrive and… it felt sooo good to finally mount that crank. Unbelievable, like I’m 12.

28 years I waited.

Now just need to find that ti p2 fork. I’ve got a gold control center headset waiting for it.

The definitive answer is now a resounding yes.

I've actually abandoned 2 projects i had scheduled as i either have had no luck finding the parts over the last year or frankly i just can't afford the ones that come up.

Im even struggling to find a couple of MT 60 parts, which would have been a tenner a bit, for less than £60 the pair!

For me its supposed to be a cheap hobby; but the " gulp" factor everytime I consider buying anything has ruined it lately.

I could wait it out another year for parts to come up, but then ive got nothing to work on for a year! Plus there's the endless searching, which i don't enjoy and if frankly not a good use of my time.

Very frustrating.

Do you have any jumbles coming up, down your way? A great way to pick stuff up. Generally cheaper than digital market.

Of course, less the gazumping by 49p by someone that wants the item more than you. In short, yes i have felt (past tense) the sting too but ive gradually given up by virtue of reducing ownership.

Non of this fleet bollocs. A bike for each occasion, sort of thing. I have two.
One i can upgrade with other peoples junk. Real low maintenance. This way, disappointment doesnt exist.

Has there ever been an official, sanctioned RetroBike swap meet/jumble over there?

You guys should get one going, if not. Dead central, so everyone can drive a few hours to make it.

We could even go all international, and set up one here and one there!

FaceTime swaps!

I'd much rather give real people real coin for real deals, and save on shipping fees, taxes, and other nasty things like import charges, in the process!

Last edited:
Has there ever been an official, sanctioned RetroBike swap meet/jumble over there?

You guys should get one going, if not. Dead central, so everyone can drive a few hours to make it.
We kinda did/do, by way of bike rides. The regional and national events.
Maaaan, the equipment that just got given away after the ride.

Should rides become a thing again, we've nailed it.

Yes, its putting me off a bit. But then I've bought a few new pieces for my drop bar gravel conversion and vintage road bike shifter update so its not horrible. I think it just takes a bit more shopping time to get the good deals. I've pretty much given up on donor bikes though for the next bit. People are asking stupid money for shit.

Prices are what they are, it's usually a waiting game, try and get the price down or pay up before somebody else buckles in desperation for the same part, I have a few drawers of bits but I always find I've sold stuff months ago that I need now, shit happens, sods law.....such is life 😒

I like the idea of swap meets or jumbles but they're always too far away, thought about doing the train to some (I don't drive) but if they're an early start and they usually are it means I'd have to be up at 4 then find my way there from the mainline.... All in the hope there's something there I need

I think there's also a geographical issue, im lucky enough to live in a sparsely populated part of the country...great for riding, bad for numbers of bikes available in my area!

Although when you do come up there is less competition...especially if they are collection only.

As for the donor bike thing

People are asking stupid money for shit.

Well, quite. The halcyon days of 2019 where a xt m732 laden old dawes was got for £100 is long gone baby......(although it did finish my ptarmigan off!)

Swap meet sounds great.

Do the regional groups still operate? Eastern seem quiet on the page?

Back