Internal gears

Sheldon's advice is to run the 3rd as your main gear, and then you can switch down into climbing gear & granny gear and then pushing and carrying.

Sheldon's advice is to run the 3rd as your main gear, and then you can switch down into climbing gear & granny gear and then pushing and carrying.
Climbing gear and a granny!? So nothing left for downhill whoopeee? 2nd is direct drive on a sturmey 3 so it's the strongest gear in the box....I say use that for pretty much everything esp pulling away. I think 1st on a nexus is direct drive so play that gear choice a little different ...think the gear spread is slightly wider than a sturmey 3..

The Nexus 3 speed is also very sturdy. But Sturmey Archer hub brakes are superior to coaster and roller brakes (nexus). This is for the Schwinn? Pretty cool. 3 speed do have big gaps between gears, but on and off hills it might be useful.
It is for the Schwinn I just have to make sure it'll work

I am not concerned about gear range, I have not ridden a geared bike in over 5 years and I don't intend on going back to multiple gears on any of my ss bikes. A few extra gears might just be a bit of fun for me, as a treat.

They’re currently sitting on a 53 Armstrong road bike so should be fine with a little cuddle.

I have used an Alfine 8 hub. I think they're reasonably well built and nice to use. And unlike the 11 speed version of the Alfine, the Alfine 8 has a gear that is direct drive (1:1). I always suggest setting up the gearing so that the direct drive gear is comfortable for cruising on the flat and gentle hills. That way you get single speed efficiency most of the time, and you only lose energy through the internal gears when you can't ride comfortably using the direct drive gear.

This gear calculator includes an Alfine 8 setting:

Back