Internal gears

I have used an Alfine 8 hub. I think they're reasonably well built and nice to use. And unlike the 11 speed version of the Alfine, the Alfine 8 has a gear that is direct drive (1:1). I always suggest setting up the gearing so that the direct drive gear is comfortable for cruising on the flat and gentle hills. That way you get single speed efficiency most of the time, and you only lose energy through the internal gears when you can't ride comfortably using the direct drive gear.

This gear calculator includes an Alfine 8 setting:

I doubt Alfine 8 would work on the cruiser due to hub spacing

I have used an Alfine 8 hub. I think they're reasonably well built and nice to use. And unlike the 11 speed version of the Alfine, the Alfine 8 has a gear that is direct drive (1:1). I always suggest setting up the gearing so that the direct drive gear is comfortable for cruising on the flat and gentle hills. That way you get single speed efficiency most of the time, and you only lose energy through the internal gears when you can't ride comfortably using the direct drive gear.

This gear calculator includes an Alfine 8 setting:

By the way, on the Alfine 8, direct drive is 5th gear.

Also 8 gears are too many for me, I'm already scared at the prospect of 3
I know two people who gave up derailleurs and went single speed.....but......hubs gears became to them what bacon is to a veggie...I predict soon all your bikes will be hubgeared 😆

I know two people who gave up derailleurs and went single speed.....but......hubs gears became to them what bacon is to a veggie...I predict soon all your bikes will be hubgeared 😆
That I very much doubt, but who knows... The night is young.

Always liked hub gears more than derailleurs, but singlespeed is still butter on a warm slice of bread after battering my liver with a 24 pack

That I very much doubt, but who knows... The night is young.

Always liked hub gears more than derailleurs, but singlespeed is still butter on a warm slice of bread after battering my liver with a 24 pack
Sniff....sniffff...what's that smell?

I smell bacon......😁

The best commuting and low maintenance build is undoubtedly single speed with belt drive. There's no chain to oil and no mess or rust, EVER!

If you must have gears then the best commuting and low maintenance build is belt drive with hub gears.

It is for the Schwinn I just have to make sure it'll work
Are there pictures of this mythical beastie? Sounds like you are playing in my sandbox now. I've been planning an internal geared hub built on an old Canadian frame. Do you plan to use pedal actuated braking in the hub, or will it be rim brakes?
New product choices are available

Are there pictures of this mythical beastie? Sounds like you are playing in my sandbox now. I've been planning an internal geared hub built on an old Canadian frame. Do you plan to use pedal actuated braking in the hub, or will it be rim brakes?
New product choices are available
20220819_150740.jpg

Back