Internal cable routing question

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I am replacing the brake cables on my Roberts.

The top tube has internal routing for the rear brake cable, are the ferrules usually proud of the frame ?

The front is proud but the rear falls right in, I was just a little worried that it will disappear inside and be lost.

Am I being paranoid IMG_20210903_171113_448.jpg 😕

Last edited:
It depends on the type of internal cable... Some have a thin tube soldered inside the main tube, to take either the whole outer all the way through, or just the inner. Others are basically a hole into the frame tube, and need the outer threading all the way through. If cable end ferrules are needed, then it would be because there is a thin tube inside to take just the inner cable. Both ends would be the same. One might be stand more proud than the other, if they weren't soldered equally. Can you take them out and post a pic of what's inside the hole? Do the ferrules butt up against something?

+1 for Foz's explanation. The frame builder would not want the cable run to be a water trap and the thin tube solutions is a good way of avoiding this. I would expect that the outer only runs 20mm or so into the frame.

I would hope that a frame from Roberts would use the small bore brass tube system for their internal routing.

Screenshot 2021-09-09 193219.jpg
The tubular parts that emerge from the frame are basically 25mm long steel cable stops brazed into large oval holes in the tube, with a small brass tube brazed between them to take the inner cable.
You should be able to pull the trapped ferrule out with some pliers.

All the best,

Back