Interesting Article on the sustainability of bicycles on solar.lowtechmagazine.com/

grantoury

Kona Fan
This article discusses research into co2 emmisions for bicycles during their lifetime and gives some fascinating insights in the value of bicycles. In short; lifetime for bicycles have become shorter and co2 emmisions for their production increases. The good news is that even with decreasing lifetimes for bicycles, their co2 emmisions are far below that of cars. Old steel bicycles with quality components have longer lifespans and for this reason, they have so much more value. The longer they are being used, the lower the co2 emmisions become.

The best is this: "Many researchers advocate switching back to producing bicycles from steel instead of aluminium and other energy-intensive materials. That would bring significant gains in sustainability for a relatively low cost – slightly heavier bicycles." and: "Better component compatibility would increase the life expectancy of bicycles – also electric ones – through repair and refurbishment. It would bring no disadvantages for consumers, even on the contrary." The only downside is that as bicycles have longer life spans, sales of new bicycles go down, so prices will increase.
And shockingly regarding new components: “the abandonment of standardization is a profitable business model because it ensures that bicycles can only be ridden for so long.”

Final-Version-1.png

There are a few things that could be added, for instance that most bicycles do not replace a car, and that nowhere near every bicycle is used for its entire useful life. As you can see from the dozens of bicycles that are fished out of the canals in Amsterdam.

Steel is real! What we need is a unified collective idea of a bicycle, with entirely universal standards to make them everlastingly longevous. Pass the law! Anything but steel just steals, your money, for nothing! All componentry must be cross compatible, all standards must be STANDARD!!

Aluminium is for beer cans, plastic is for Lego!

We start training come sundown.

airsoftfatty-airsoftphatty.gif

Steel is real! What we need is a unified collective idea of a bicycle, with entirely universal standards to make them everlastingly longevous. Pass the law! Anything but steel just steals, your money, for nothing! All componentry must be cross compatible, all standards must be STANDARD!!

Aluminium is for beer cans, plastic is for Lego!

We start training come sundown.

airsoftfatty-airsoftphatty.gif
Rightio

While I might agree with the overall thrust of the argument in that piece, some of the details feel a little wonky. Things aren't as incompatible as it seems and their digression on disc brakes is indicative of someone who might not have actually seen one, never mind ridden or owned a set. I can't say I've had to scrap a non-electric bike due to not being able to get parts to keep it on the road. Even a broken bike will often find a new happy owner if the price is cheap enough.

The rot really set in compatibility wise with 6+ speed blocks/cassettes and indexing - but I'm not sure anyone wants to back to before that era.

While I might agree with the overall thrust of the argument in that piece, some of the details feel a little wonky. Things aren't as incompatible as it seems and their digression on disc brakes is indicative of someone who might not have actually seen one, never mind ridden or owned a set. I can't say I've had to scrap a non-electric bike due to not being able to get parts to keep it on the road. Even a broken bike will often find a new happy owner if the price is cheap enough.

The rot really set in compatibility wise with 6+ speed blocks/cassettes and indexing - but I'm not sure anyone wants to back to before that era.
I don't think it is specifically said we should go back, but incompatibility even between groupsets of different generations is done more and more. For someone unfamiliar with bicycle maintenance and limited budget scrapping a bicycle for a cheap new one will often be more viable.
My most used bicycle is 9 speed, and availability of cassettes and chains has become a lot less, only years after it was the norm. I see this as a serious problem, not only for me but because of sustainability issues.

I don't think it is specifically said we should go back, but incompatibility even between groupsets of different generations is done more and more. For someone unfamiliar with bicycle maintenance and limited budget scrapping a bicycle for a cheap new one will often be more viable.
My most used bicycle is 9 speed, and availability of cassettes and chains has become a lot less, only years after it was the norm. I see this as a serious problem, not only for me but because of sustainability issues.

I have a nine speed bike, and if I'm ever faced with the situation of not getting parts - I'll either upgrade to 10 or go back to 8 or 7 speed whichever is most readily available. Or cobble one together with secondhand parts etc. Realistically though with close on a dozen bikes in the house/shed, I think I'll wear out before all of the bikes do (esp as I have enough bits for a couple more). I'm also not that fussy what I keep them running with. My 9 speed is XT equipped, but I be happy to mix and match that with whatever is available if it comes to it.

I have a nine speed bike, and if I'm ever faced with the situation of not getting parts - I'll either upgrade to 10 or go back to 8 or 7 speed whichever is most readily available. Or cobble one together with secondhand parts etc. Realistically though with close on a dozen bikes in the house/shed, I think I'll wear out before all of the bikes do (esp as I have enough bits for a couple more).
I can see that there are options still, but it would be a lot more responsible and therefore desirable if brands like Shimano would make certain cassettes for longer. I don't expect them to forever make the same thing, but a bit more consideration would be great.

My 9 speed is used a lot

I can see that there are options still, but it would be a lot more responsible and therefore desirable if brands like Shimano would make certain cassettes for longer. I don't expect them to forever make the same thing, but a bit more consideration would be great.

My 9 speed is used a lot
I demand forever.

Did 9 speed meet such a sudden demise because it changed pull ratio from the days of 6/7/8 cross compatibility only to soon after be replaced by a new standard, 10 speed? Sort of no man's land for the 9 speed?

Back