Intense M1 1996 - Palmer replica

Dami

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello!

Last spring I found a cheap 1998 Intense M1 frame here in Finland, and got it without yet knowing what kind of project I should turn it into. Then after some time I had a flashback to one of the most iconic bikes to me which I remember first seeing in Chainsmoke movie ridden by Palmer - The black and red M1 with the swag/fox/spy etc. decal set on it. Back then it was a special proto type of frame, but apart from the slightly different chainstays, a bit heavier headtube/seat tube reinforcements and the four holes above the shock (two in production models), they're pretty identical with the 97/98 production models. At least I can live with these differencies 😀

Palmer1.jpg

First step was to search the different online photo databases for the pics of the racing spec he had on it back in the 1996 world cup season. He used this black/red frame on the cup races and had the Troy Lee painted stars and stripes frame on the world champs in that same year. I managed to collect a lot of pics of it which gave me pretty clear view on the parts that he used back then.

Palmer2.jpg

So since then I've been sourcing the parts needed for it and have already found the following:

- Azonic bar
- 'Go fast' torsion bar
- Shorty stem
- AME grips
- Controltech post
- SDG ventura comp red/black flame saddle
- Vanilla Rx with blue anodization (unfortunately with a small crack on the eyelet, but works for a wall hanger.. I also have a little different Rx for riding use)
- Magura HS33 raceline
- XTR 950 cranks with 5-bolt spider
- XTR 950 shifter
- XTR 950 derailleur
- MRP chain guide
- Mavic 121 ceramic rims
- Ringle 20mm front hub
- IRC Missile tires

So all in all I already got majority of the parts ready, only missing some of the more challenging ones. Currently I have pretty good leads for all the missing parts also, and as I usually prefer trades over buying - I'm not made of money so buying cheap, restoring and trading is the best way for me to go :LOL: - these will just take more time than the easier parts. But hey, this hobby is not for those in a hurry!

During Autumn I also started drawing the decals based on the old photos, and found out that there were a total of 16 different decals on the frame plus the special decals on the rims and fork 😂 So it took me months to draw them on an old Illustrator that I got from a friend, half an hour here and half an hour there, and quickly it was December when I finally dropped the drawings to my friend who has a professional printing shop and helps me out every once in a while. The decals also include some foil stickers, and in this case two layer decals, so it needed some special printing jobs also.

Palmer3.jpg

The frame work is never my favorite thing, but I want to do as much by myself as possible, so I usually do the paint removal and surface finishing manually. Like most of us I have to work the days and take care of the family after that, so I only got small time slots for these dirty works. So again this took me some time to do properly.

Palmer4.jpg

I just managed to finish working on the frame this week so next step for me is to walk into the car paint shop, scroll through the paint samples, choose the fitting colors and drop the frame to my painter friend at some point!

Palmer5.jpg

I'm really bad at updating the projects here as I go, but I promise to do an update when I get the frame painted, bearings replaced and decals attached. Hopefully in a month or so!

Best Regards,

Turkka

Interesting project. Will be following the updates.

Nice collection of parts you have already found, some rare and quite hard to come by now, like the Missiles. Some nice frames in the background too :cool:

Agreed, great project! I'm at a similar point in my M1 but I'm not focusing on replicating a particular race bike so it's a bit more open ended. Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

On a related note, a later model, new old stock M1 frame was up on Ebay for something like $3200 USD this week and it looks like it only lasted a day or 2 before it sold!

Great project, what's your plan for forks?
I have some nice possibilities, but as everything is still open concerning the fork, don’t want to jinx anything! Nevertheless the fork is definitely the most challenging part of any Palmer M1 replica as there are maybe a dozen of those proto Boxxers left, travelwise a Boxxer Pro would be the best alternative

Agreed, great project! I'm at a similar point in my M1 but I'm not focusing on replicating a particular race bike so it's a bit more open ended. Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

On a related note, a later model, new old stock M1 frame was up on Ebay for something like $3200 USD this week and it looks like it only lasted a day or 2 before it sold!
I saw it on facebook vintage downhill forum also, not many NOS M1s around anymore, but still the price was just bonkers! And I seriously thought that it would never sell.. I’ve paid less of all my over 15 retro DH frames together 😄

I had the chance to be Intense distributor in my country in 1994. Had catalogues and price lists. But the liquidity was missing. Would not have been a good business anyway, lots of money sunk into something not sustainable. It was the pre linkage M1 and I believe their pictures where black/white if my memory serves correct. The technology was obviously far beyond the other leading DH frames like verlicchi. May have the catalogues and price lists somewhere.

Last edited:
I saw it on facebook vintage downhill forum also, not many NOS M1s around anymore, but still the price was just bonkers! And I seriously thought that it would never sell.. I’ve paid less of all my over 15 retro DH frames together 😄
could you pls provide the link to the ebay listing?

Back