Ignorant Bullseye Hubs Questions

yakboy

Manitou Fan
I need educating about Bullseye hubs so sorry if the following questions appear ignorant...so here goes

1. Were Bullseye rear hubs always threaded to take a freewheel, did they ever do a freehub version

2. How easily do the flanges come away from the centre tube? Are they bonded welded or threaded together?

Any other info about bullseye's would be gratefully received. I have a 1st gen Suspender fork with Bullseye hub and want some info before restoring it and trying to get a matched rear hub.

Re:

Agree with post above, only ever seen screw on freewheel versions. I personally love Bullys. They are pretty bomb proof for normal retro style riding. Not sure how they would handle repeated landings from 10ft.

Re:

I thought they were only freewheel but thought I'd check. Want to restore the front one as needs re anodising so being able to separate the shell from the flanges would make life easier.
I know axles are easily changed also

Re:

Bit late to the party here...

I've just been looking at mine as I am suddenly interested in how they fit together!

From what I can see the flanges are an interference fit, I'm guessing that they might be a job to take apart though as they must have been pressed together with a fair bit of force?

A reference to the construction is here -> http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_bullseye.html .You might also have some joy searching some vintage BMX forums, as various Bullseye questions tend to get thrown around on these.

Definitely never a cassette version, although I know that's already been mentioned. Good luck with the resto matey :)

Re:

Thanks for the heads up on the construction page, some useful info there. I'll just have to take them apart and see :shock:

Re:

I have a rear bullseye hub that was purchased back in my college days (1989 I think)... still works like a champ, except for the flywheel has a tiny wobble. It can get along with a Shimano thumb shifter, but prefers suntour or diacomp. I’m a big dood and have beat the snot out of the hub... still silky smooth

Back