1989 Rock Mountain Blizzard Slope

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
I had previously stated “no more bikes”

I had to go back on that statement for a few reasons, price was right, it’s a steel RM and I don’t own one, it’s my favorite year of Blizzard and Blizzard paint scheme. I love the full Tange Prestige slope version, it has the 6” seat tube extension (side note: is this machined seat tube extension Paul Brodie’s invention? I’m leaning toward yes but curious if it is the case, it seemed to appear while he worked at RM on his first designs and was on all his frames until the 90s whether 6” or 4” but not sure if other early builders used it before Paul). SN: T0082 (I assume build at Toyo)

This build will be on the cheap as much as possible as it is under the radar with regards to my better half and I am happy with most of the parts already.

It’s in need of lot’s of TLC but has most original parts including a 1st gen Syncros post uncut and in nice shape. Paint needs lot’s of love. Decals are pretty tired with one Blizzard decal absent. I may have a line on some of the decals and could always reach out to Gil of course. I may keep some and replace others, not sure yet. The white portion of the frame will be a rattle can DIY as it is pretty rough and the granite kept original with touch ups where needed. Good luck? Yes, unsure about touching up the granite but need to protect against rust, etc. Possibly a grey/blue base that is close and multiple dabs with white sharpie paint pen? (I will do some practicing to before making an attempt)

It is great having the matching U brake fork and Ritchey Force stem, the mega short handlebar will be swapped and I’ll most likely add my favorite obligatory (non period correct) Flite saddle.

Now, on to some unexpected bits regarding the wheels:

I noticed the hubs were not XT taking a quick glance while grabbing the bike but instead Suntour XC something… thought mmmm, cartridge bearings? Nope, following a closer look they are XC Comps with cup/cone, still good hubs but was hoping they were 9000s. Also incorrectly assumed a freewheel rear hub, if it was the case it would have been a quick swap to a 7 speed Shimano freewheel but turns out to be a freehub with an AP II cassette c/w a few broken teeth, yikes!

The other concern is will it index shift with XT thumbies, pretty sure they do not play well but could always go friction or swap to Suntour thumbies.

So why go down this rabbit hole? Source rare Suntour cassette, forgo index shifting? Just use other wheels, right? Unfortunately, no quality spare wheels kicking around and another reason….

Check out these tubular Wolber rims (TR 1) and tubular Wolber 1.9 tires (Avoriaz). These are glue on tires on an MTB! I started the process to remove them and quickly noticed the glue, stopped and pumped them back up.

I rode tubs for a few years in the 80s on my road bike and they do have a very smooth comfy ride. I gave up on them when I tried fixing a flat and did not feel like forking out for a new tire.

So, in spite of the possible down sides I’m keeping these wheels on my build. IMHO they are very cool and I assume pretty rare. The tires are tired due to their age but not bad considering. No harsh cracking or concerning wear. Maybe a good cleaning and some Dubbin? :LOL:

This build will be a slow burn but really looking forward to it! 😁 :cool:

20230924_163211959_iOS.jpg
20230924_163247254_iOS.jpg
20230924_163216973_iOS.jpg
20230924_163221238_iOS.jpg
20230924_163225209_iOS.jpg
20230924_163229812_iOS.jpg
20230925_022659409_iOS.jpg
20230926_135005911_iOS.jpg
20230926_134842400_iOS.jpg
20230926_133327023_iOS.jpg

That´s too my favourite year for the Blizzard. Love the radically sloped top tube and tall extending seat tube w matching tall head tube. Those wheels can be a head ache to go back to functioning.

That´s too my favourite year for the Blizzard. Love the radically sloped top tube and tall extending seat tube w matching tall head tube. Those wheels can be a head ache to go back to functioning.
Agreed but I’ll make a go of it, found a cassette that’ll work for not stupid money

Guess the wheels will last a a long as the tires last, I looked around a bit and figure replacement tires are unobtainium

I don’t have the funds for new wheels currently and I’m eager to see how the tubs ride 😎

Back