I made a little tool rack

Betsy

Old School Grand Master
A leatherworker friend of mine, replaced the crappy vinyl headband on my Grado's recently with some lovely hand stitched horsehide.. he wouldn't accept any payment so i made him a little rack for his tools.. he has 12 of these pricks and 12 punches..

Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 18.33.55.png

I drilled a plywood template for the holes.. it's easier to get the spacing right on the temp, rather than have numerous confusing lines on your oak.

fullsizeoutput_3da2.jpeg

Cut a block of oak from a board and sanded it square.. put the template on top and drilled through the holes.. not all the way through, just a couple of inches down

fullsizeoutput_3dca.jpeg

Used my guage to mark out a 15mm thickness
fullsizeoutput_3da6.jpeg

Cut it off
fullsizeoutput_3dd1.jpeg

Sanded it flat..
fullsizeoutput_3dac.jpeg

Repeat
fullsizeoutput_3daf.jpeg

I did the same thing from the bottom of the board (which is why i only drilled 2" deep) giving me 2x pieces of oak with a series of holes on the exact same centers and one piece of oak with no holes to form the base of the rack and laminated the bottom 2x pieces together

IMG_2240.JPG

..this is only because when i look in the bottom of the holes.. i don't want to see the point left behind from the forstner bit
fullsizeoutput_3dd4.jpeg

Pfft.. so unprofessional.. says the guy who can't even focus^ his camera :LOL:

tbc..

I wanted some wooden dowels to peg it together.. but i wanted them in a dark contrasting colour... huf!.. y'know that moment in your day when all you need a small perfectly round piece of honduras mahogany but it's been on the endangered species list since 2013?.. well fear not Retrodudes

Betsy's Life Hacks #47

Cut some pieces of mahogany
fullsizeoutput_3dcb.jpeg

Y'know those people who say 'you can't fit a square peg in a round hole' ?.. well those people are idiots

Get a bit of metal with a hole in it and nip it up in the vice
fullsizeoutput_3db5.jpeg

..tap your little peg in
fullsizeoutput_3db6.jpeg

..tap it through with a drift punch, turn the metal upside down and hey presto!
fullsizeoutput_3db8.jpeg

.Mahogany dowels
fullsizeoutput_3dcc.jpeg

Using the oak off cuts.. i've bobbin'd out a couple of slots..
Im going for a mid-century kind of vibe
fullsizeoutput_3dba.jpeg

..started building it.. i'll hide that little rebate later, i french polished the internal parts before i put the top on so i wasn't french polishing through a narrow slot
fullsizeoutput_3dbe.jpeg

..tapped my handmade pegs in, now the labourious task of sanding out the marks from the machines.
fullsizeoutput_3dcd.jpeg

As above, really lovely work and nice to see someone going the extra mile!

Looks like you have a fantastic workshop too - nice to see some good sized machines with lovely cast iron beds. Is that disc sander 18" or 24"? Looks a beaut!

Thanks gents..

As above, really lovely work and nice to see someone going the extra mile!

Looks like you have a fantastic workshop too - nice to see some good sized machines with lovely cast iron beds. Is that disc sander 18" or 24"? Looks a beaut!

30" no less!.. it's a double sided 1980's era Phillipson.. the beds raise by 10° and drop 45°

Back