How to run full length cable outers without guides?

TheAntsPants":1vhzp1y2 said:
al-onestare":1vhzp1y2 said:
Great call. Make sure to dremmel off the cable stops to improve aerodynamics

You mean like this? Been there. Done that. :shock: :LOL:

Don't worry. There was a reason to the madness. It kept catching and tearing my shorts when I was out of the saddle. This frame's a keeper, so I'm not worried about resale value. :)

:facepalm: :cry:

Re:

for the rear mech I would honestly rout under the frame and not full length. black inner cables will hide against the frame.
It is neat and tidy, uses less cable bending too.
Use a shadow style mech for the rear and it really neat and tidy.

The top, drill out the cable stops there and tag something to the front mech stop or use that (if using a front mech).
Fashion a dog collar of some sort?.

for the rear mech, top tube routing is only good for mud, it just adds to top tube clutter and for older mechs, the extra bend is at the back rather than the front.

Pretty much all top tube mounted stops are shite, unless they are down the side or side and slightly underneath as the bends are terrible, why they always jam them as close to the headtube on the top, so they all touch and have sharp bends I don't know and then do the same at the seattube.

This is madness.

I've never, ever had a single issue with any routing on any of the Kona's I've restored or run. You really don't need to mess about with anything apart from the well-know running v's on a pre-97 frame mod.

There's no need to butcher this or any other frame.

al-onestare":206suopw said:
:facepalm: :cry:

There's a place for museum pieces, but this old Explosif isn't one of them. It's got the dreaded top tube ding from a previous owner and the dropout had to be replaced because it snapped, common to this particular model. And I filed off a guide :D and the frame rides better for it. Each scar tells a story and personalises the frame.

The Kilauea is another story. She's in pristine condition and I'll leave her that way. But I won't be as attached to her as I am with the Explosif. But I'm still going to find a decent way to route her cables, dammit! :p

Opportunity for a rant. While I like Kona / Voodoo / Joe Murray stuff ..... why oh why did they
have to attempt all weird and unpractical cable routing, stops, bends, noodles, clamps, etc.

In the most part there is good engineering and thoughtfulness just to be let down by the dumbest of things. It's like Joe
had a phobia about a short piece of outer cable around the seat-cluster. I'm sure the man must have been inspired
by going to a cyclo-cross meet in Belgium and seeing all those drilled seat-posts for a rear cable stop.

al-onestare":15vtalwl said:
This is madness.

Yes it is. Rip your shorts and scratch your balls so off with the cable guide. This is Retrobike. :LOL:

My final word. Grommets.

Back