How much is too much seatpost?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Been throwing together my first 27.5er with 1x11. Its turning out nicely, a few challenges to overcome, one will be fitting a reverb when I finally pluck up the courage to shorten the hose, as its been freshly serviced and the hose length is massive.

For now I'm fitting a standard post, a nice sdg carbon affair.

The current trend seems to be smaller frames and long posts. My post is long and there is plenty in the frame, but as its carbon, should I be worried about how long it is out of the frame?

I like the look a long post creates. Heres a pic.

Attachments

• PSX_20210403_184804.jpg
    PSX_20210403_184804.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 46
I think its more important how much is in the frame than out.

Of it is in the frame enough, then I would guess if you go past the max insert line, you have not enough. Else you have enough.
Otherwise they've not designed the post correctly (assuming you follow their stated weights and what bots)

The post will be designed to be strong enough not to snap, otherwise it would not have been made that long. The frame on the other hand will have been designed with a max seat post length in mind. The longer the seat post, the more leverage to bend the seat tube. Was the frame meant to have a massive seat post? Are you a featherweight? Likely nothing will come of it, but early FS bikes with welds on the seat tube were prone to snapage because of sticky outy seat posts.

There is a lot of post in the frame, way more than min insert level. Previous frame owner was same height as me and had similar set up (different post, sane stem length)

I'd love to be a featherweight, sadly not, but that said, not overweight either, hopefully with riding this I'll get trimmer and lighter, but at just under 6ft, there are limits to how svelte I'll get.

I will at some point swap in a reverb i have, just wanted to get it built. I have a longer alloy post I could use, but fancied something different to other builds, hence i-beam post and saddle.

I will triple check before riding just to be 100% sure the limits are good, just waiting for disc adapter for the forks, annoying as I had almost every other type and size other than the one needed.

Have a new seat clamp on order, never been a fan of qr sear posts from back when people used to steal them and the faff of taking the post out all the time (though I'd suspect any discerning thief would have some allen keys). Not that it will be left unguarded.

Just checked, there is 14cm in the frame. From the outside it is about where the r in the downtube iroko decal is.

A friend of mine had a bike with lots of seatpost showing and it used to flex quite dramatically (frame was too small for him) Eventually it snapped . He replaced it with a thomson and had no problems.

I like the look a long post creates.
I think it looks like you've bought the wrong size bike tbh.

Only £150, available in Large, and its QR, same seatpost, head tube, wheelsize, BB, etc. But just IMO - YMMV. 😁

I did look at that before buying the iroko. Almost bought it but some of the negative reviews about the bb put me off as there were a few. It was also on discount at the time so was even cheaper.

The iroko gets great reviews and was cheaper so investigated size etc and pulled the trigger.

Is my frame the wrong size? Again, looked into this before buying. I'm annoyingly on the cusp of a lot of recommended sizes for height. Previous owner was same height and build as me so it should be OK. It has a longer top tube than any other bike I have, plus I was looking for something nimble for playing around with as a change from my 29er, but not a 26er, just because I had 27.5 wheels, tyres and forks spare.

Hopefully the brake adapter arrives tomorrow and I can fit and go for a ride to see how it feels.

Only then will I know if it is too small or not.

I still like the look of it with the long post. Probably why most of my retro frames were smaller than they probably should have been.

Back