How much are your bikes really worth (retro or not)?

How much are your bikes worth?

• Less than 500$

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Between 500 and 750$

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Between 750$ and 1000$

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between 1000$ and 2000$

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Between 2000$ and 5000$

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Above 5000$

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

rrrroberts":1ngelfux said:
Oops. The $5k was mine, should have read the description. I added mine up to exceed $5K. I have a single bike worth that, but if I averaged them out, then way less. Feel free to remove the $5k vote nd I'll go again...

Sorry, I have no clue how to do that, if even possible. Nevertheless, it's useful information as probably your 5k bike will push the overall worth up anyway.

Thanks to all the answers so far...

Re:

I've got more o less 10 bikes in my house. 2 E-bikes 2nd hand at 800€ each, on trek x caliber 7 at 500 €, 4 treks from the early 90s from 100 to 250 €, 1 Marin 1994 50 € and 2 treks from 2006 100 € each.

Average is less than 500 €
Total is about 3000 €

d8mok":1as5jrgh said:
This thread is like a thief’s shopping list
Probably easier than trawling Strava looking for people who have rides titled "Spin out on my new Aethos".

Though retrobike probably isn't the best return for the effort/risk. Maybe weight weenies or one of the tri forums for maximum return.

d8mok":yeut0yco said:
This thread is like a thief’s shopping list
Not sure how since I'm not asking for any specifics (bike model, location, how many bikes, etc.)

My_Teenage_Self":yeut0yco said:
Honestly, I don't understand the point of the question.

Median, Mode or Mean?
I explained the point in my first post, I just wanted to know the average bike value of most cyclists to see how far off, or how accurate, are bike media assesments of "we test a selection of affordable bikes" or "X model is great value", etc.

Median, mode or mean? Nice, you know statistics. Luckily, all people within 4 standard deviations of the mean have understood what I meant.

Titiritero":2tceam0c said:
My_Teenage_Self":2tceam0c said:
Honestly, I don't understand the point of the question.

Median, Mode or Mean?
I explained the point in my first post, I just wanted to know the average bike value of most cyclists to see how far off, or how accurate, are bike media assesments of "we test a selection of affordable bikes" or "X model is great value", etc.

Median, mode or mean? Nice, you know statistics. Luckily, all people within 4 standard deviations of the mean have understood what I meant.

I don't know statistics*. But, even I know that 'averages' are an awful way of representing the answer to your question.

You want to know how much peoples bikes are worth. My cheapest bike cost nearly 50 times less than my most expensive (both actual £ paid, at market value). do you really think the average is representative of what I own? For that matter, do you think ANY retro bikes are representative of what you're asking?

If you want a real answer to your question, you should have asked "How much did you pay for your last new bike?".

Instead, you resort to weak insults because more than 0.1% of respondents said your poll was flawed?. Stay classy, Princess.

*Not true

If you are asking what a enthusiast would class as average to spend on a new bike then I think you’ve missed the point entirely by asking how what the average is. The old bikes will pull the new ones value down. Plus older bikes value is so subjective and goes in spikes.

In terms of modern bikes, a trail bike/Road bike at £2000 is budget in today’s world. A pair of wheels can easily cost that now.

If you ride local canal then of course the average will be lower. Go to a trail centre on a Saturday and it’ll be much higher. Same if you went out on a Sunday sunny morning looking at road bikes in groups.

Retro bikes aren’t particularly expensive in terms of money. More in rarity and feeling special. That’s why I like this hobby. It’s not a rich mans game like some other stuff as you can buy your dream bikes for less than a night out sometimes.

Back