How "good" are the Chorus Monoplaner brakes?

th0m

Dirt Disciple
I'm restoring a Colnago that came with the mid 90's dual pivot Record brakes. However, I'm thinking about replacing them with a pair of Chorus Monoplaners (if I can find some in good condition for a fair price), simply because I think they are among the most beautiful bike components ever made.

How much worse would they be compared to the Records currently on the bike, or even compared to say current direct mount Ultegras, which are the ones I'm most used to?

I tihnk any difference will be outweighed by cabling or brake pad compound. I would use them happily, presumably you aren't intending to race in the Alps with them anyway.

My only comparators are-
- single pivot Record/Super Record with new vintage blocks. I thought these were quite good but did scare the living daylights out of myself on a 15% Chilterns downhill with a main road at the bottom. (The gradient also contributed to worries about tipping forward so I had put my full weight on pedals and pushed back behind the saddle.)
- dual pivot Shimano Ultegra- simply awful on standard blocks - no power and wooden but completely transformed by Swisstop blue blocks.
- 1990s dual pivot Chorus- did everything asked with new generic blocks.

Summary- test ride your blocks carefully before asking your brakes to stop when it is critical and be prepared to replace nearly new ones as they are comparatively cheap.

And I agree that the Monoplaner brakes are beautiful.

They were superb. Miles apart compared to the Victory's I had.

Did me proud descending the Alps and Pyrenees (in the wet) many moons ago with a rear pannier.

Think I had the Athena ones though??? and wouldn't hesitate to have them again.

701900ec667b87287b03747d86b8639b18fc0a38.JPG

These are rare but stylish :)

Nob":y6dvmk74 said:
These are rare but stylish :)
Wow, those are beautiful. "Graphite" finish, right? I would really lust for them if I hadn't decided to go all-silver for this build.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've just won an auction for a pair now that looks to be almost as new. If I end up in a bush after trying them out, I will blame you guys ;)

Back